Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is the largest mission-driven operator of farmers’ markets in Southern California and a leader in improving food access and nutrition education. SEE-LA is seeking a part-time Farmers’ Market Manager to manage the operation of the Central Avenue Farmers’ Market on Thursdays from 10:00am to 3:00pm, located at the 9th City Council District Field Office (4301 S. Central Ave.), established in 2002. Under the direction of SEE-LA’s Senior Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations, the Farmers’ Market Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the market, recruitment and retention of farmers/vendors, communications with community organizations, market vendors, volunteers and other SEE-LA managers/staff, organization of market activities and programs This position requires working Thursdays at the market (7:30 AM - 4 PM) and two (2), eight (8) hour days at SEE-LA’s office near Downtown LA.
● Experience or interest in Certified Farmers’ Markets, nutrition, food assistance programs and community outreach
● Experience working collaboratively and communicating effectively with a wide variety of individuals, businesses, and organizations, including farmers, vendors, government inspectors, market partners and community members
● Computer literacy (MS Office Suite, internet applications, email marketing, social media)
● Comfortable handling cash with, basic accounting skills
● Highly organized and detail oriented
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Must be able to work Thursdays and Tuesdays, flexible work schedule
● Positive and cooperative attitude required
● Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) preferred
Central Avenue Farmers’ Market: Thursdays (8:00am-5:00pm)
▪ Responsible for oversight of the physical set-up and take-down of market, including market events, as needed
▪ Responsible for assigning vendor spaces, enforcing market rules and other pertinent laws and regulations
▪ Effectively facilitate vendor check out
▪ Ensure all vendors and market site are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
▪ Interface with community, customers and vendors in a professional manner
▪ Process CalFresh/EBT/WIC & Market Match transactions, per guidelines of programs
▪ Resolve emergencies, complaints, and requests from vendors, customers and community partners
▪ Ability to lift/carry 30 lbs.
SEE-LA Office – Two Weekdays
▪ Manage weekly market accounting and reconciling:
• Process all load lists from the previous market day
• Reconcile and submit all forms of payment including cash, check, EBT, Market Match, and WIC
• Complete weekly market day sales reports
• Organize and replenish EBT / Market Match supplies
▪ Communicate with vendors and market stakeholders regarding market policies, activities, and rules
▪ Maintain vendor files and other administrative tasks as needed
▪ Work with SEE-LA’s Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations to secure all necessary permits for operation of a Certified Farmers’ Market
▪ Collaborate with state and federal agencies to ensure vendor compliance as needed
▪ Develop digital and print promotional materials
▪ Promote the farmers’ market within the community, including presentations to schools, local businesses, churches, and other community-based organizations.
▪ Coordinate community events to be held at the market such as book signings, food demos, etc.
▪ Interface with community leaders, elected officials, and community stakeholders
▪ Attend SEE-LA staff meetings Tuesday afternoons and trainings as required
▪ Organize and attend farm, kitchen and studio visits as needed
Please submit cover letter and resume via email to: [email protected] (Subject Line: Central Avenue Farmers’ Market Manager). Email submissions only. No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.