Promesa Boyle Heights is a passionate collaborative of residents, youth, schools, and partner organizations working together to realize a shared mission to improve conditions in Boyle Heights at the individual, school, and systems level by building a movement of partner organizations, students, and families collaborating to close the opportunity gap and strengthen supports for students from cradle through college and career. We envision a Boyle Heights
where: 1) Every individual has access to a range of supports in the home, in our schools, and in the community to foster school and life success; 2) Organizations are collaborating, well functioning, and closing the opportunity gap amongst the most marginalized and underserved populations in our community, and; 3) A powerful, resident-led collaborative is winning system level policy changes that create a safer, healthier, and more stable Boyle Heights. for more information visit: www.promesaboylegheights.org
Proyecto Pastoral is a founding Steering Committee member and the backbone organization for the Promesa Boyle Heights collaborative. Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 by community residents and Father Greg Boyle, with a mission to develop the Boyle Heights community through education, leadership development and service. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 6,000 children, youth, families and individuals annually. For more information, visit: www.proyectopastoral.org.
Promesa Boyle Heights (BH) is seeking a mission-driven leader who is
passionate and committed to social, racial, and educational justice. The Managing Director is a leader who can continue to grow a movement of partner organizations, students, and families to strengthen support for students and their families from cradle through college and career.
Reporting to the Promesa BH Steering Committee and the Promesa BH General Assembly, the Managing Director will lead the strategic growth of the collaborative and serve as a public ambassador. The Managing Director will manage four focus area teams (Community School Team, Organizing Team, Early Education Team, and Wellness Team) that include 15+ staff, 24+
partners, 3 schools, and 40+ resident leaders. The Managing Director will also drive Promesa Boyle Heights’ internal and external functions, including strategy, communications, community engagement, and evaluation.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Strategy
● Providing visionary, adaptive leadership modeling Promesa BH guiding values.
● Coaching and supervising team members with support from Community School Director and Director for Organizing and Wellness.
● Facilitating and executing open communication with the Promesa BH stakeholders, which include Steering Committee, General Assembly, Comité de Líderes, PBH staff members, and Proyecto Pastoral leadership.
● Identifying capacity gaps and developing operational plans to implement possible organizational growth and/or restructuring.
● Oversee the implementation of strategies outlined in the strategic plan and, when needed, support the development of new strategies that will drive transformative change in the region.
● In concert with relevant workgroups; develop annual goals connected to the strategic plan along with policy and funding recommendations with guidance of the Promesa BH Steering Committee.
Supporting Success of Collaborative Governance Structure
● Coordinating with other projects and coalitions in the same field to maintain an
understanding of the current landscape of local and regional activities and integrating their work into Steering Committee and Solution Team processes.
● Cultivate excellent working relationships with education and community leaders involved with Promesa BH in a way that inspires collective action without formal authority.
● Building and maintaining strong relationships with adult and young community residents along with collaborative partners and stakeholders.
● Provide direction and support to partner organizations in aligning their work to the Common Agenda.
● Acts as a neutral convener and helps resolve conflicts or disagreements amongst staff and stakeholders.
● Work with staff to lead planning for Steering Committee and General Assembly
Shared Strategy and Measurement
● Oversee the development and implementation of a shared measurement system that will track common outcomes and indicators across the collaborative to inform learning and continuous improvement.
● Identifying improvements in use of data-driven decision-making and ensuring that data is collected, integrated, and communicated effectively across the organization.
● Identifying potential funding sources to support Promesa Boyle Heights goals and work with Proyecto’s development team to develop and implement fundraising strategy.
● Providing support and guidance to partner organizations in aligning resources to Promesa BH plan, including supporting identification of grant opportunities that align to Promesa BH goals.
● Developing relationships with potential funders and participating in relevant networks.
● 10+ years of relevant work experience, including at least 3 years of managing teams in a fast-paced and high-growth nonprofit or social enterprise environment.
● Bachelor’s degree in business, education, policy or related field, Master’s degree preferred.
● At least 5 years of fundraising experience and demonstrated success in cultivating fundraiser relationships.
● Executive level experience with ability to inspire confidence and passion with both internal and external audiences.
● Ability to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment; willingness to roll up one's sleeves' and extend beyond formal responsibilities based on the needs of the work.
● Advanced strategy and planning skills, including an ability to think strategically on both organizational and systemic levels over multi-year horizons.
● Strong data acumen and ability to oversee complex shared-measurement systems
● Experience with complex project management and stakeholder management.
● A track record of leading, inspiring, and developing high performing teams
● Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build authentic relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, including Spanish-speaking resident adult and youth leaders.
● Familiarity with the local Boyle Heights area, our residents and/or education, social justice & community transformation.
● Experience leading or participating in a community-led governance structures as evidenced by facilitating the following: community forums, collective impact coalitions or collaboratives.
● Spanish speaking ability strongly preferred.
Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities. Women, LGBTQIA and people of color are encouraged to apply.
To apply: The Search Committee is soliciting applications immediately. Please send a cover letter, resume, a list of at least three professional references, and complete the application questions electronically to [email protected], with the subject line: PBH – Managing Director.
1. Do you have 10+ years of senior or executive leadership experience, including 3 years of managing teams in the nonprofit or social enterprise environment?
2. Are you fluent in Spanish?
3. What has been your experience with creating a strategic plan? What was your role and how did you engage staff and community members in the planning process?
4. Describe your most proud fundraising accomplishment and the role you played in that accomplishment.
5. What are your best practices for staff retention and development?
6. Why do you want to be Promesa Boyle Heights’ incoming Managing Director?
7. What is your desired salary range?