Onsite Education Assistant
The Department of Recreation and Parks is recruiting for Museum Guides, who are part-time, at-will employees who work up to a maximum of 1040 hours per year at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium.
• 15-20 hours per week based on the budgetary and operational needs of the Department
• Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, 3720 Stephen M White Dr., San Pedro, CA 90731
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
The Onsite Education Department at Cabrillo Marine Aquarium seeks part-time Education Assistants for our Science at the Seashore & Sea Search classes and Aquarium Programs. As an Education Assistant, you will be working with staff educators conducting marine science programming in the classroom, laboratory and in the field (tidepools, sandy beach, pier, and salt marsh) for school groups from pre-K through adult. Engaging visitors in the Exploration Center and conducting workshops for members of the general public. Assisting with a variety of public fee-based and grant-funded programming and projects. Working to develop educational programs including curricula and instructional aids. Caring for and maintaining live marine animals, preserved specimens and equipment utilized for classes and projects.
• Should have a strong interest in working with children and in the field of Marine Biology
• Effectively communicate and engage with the general public and students of all ages
• Must be able to work well independently and as part of a collaborative team
• The ability to convey a favorable public image and guide groups of people
• The ability to be tactful and effective in communicating with people from varied backgrounds
• Must be responsible, dependable, and communicative with supervisory staff
• Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
• Must be able to work 16-20 hours per week including weekends
Please email your resume & cover letter to: [email protected]