The Wayfarer Foundation seeks an Event Production Assistant who will assist in producing the annual Skid Row Carnival of Love. This person will manage several teams of volunteers to handle the logistics and operations of the Carnival, as well as liaise with the Executive Team regarding the planning and execution of the carnival. This opportunity will engage a full range of leadership and operations skills, with an emphasis on logistics and volunteer management.
A good candidate will have experience with event production, including on film or TV set, as well as knowledge of the discrete needs of the unhoused population in Los Angeles. Candidates with direct service experience are especially encouraged to apply.
This is a part-time role, for approximately 10-15 hours/week through November, and 15-30 hours/week through February 1, 2020.
THE SKID ROW CARNIVAL OF LOVE - January 25, 2020
The Skid Row Carnival of Love is Los Angeles’ fastest growing community event benefiting and celebrating people experiencing homelessness. For one day, there is no us or them—just unconditional love and coming together as a community. We create a tailor-made day filled with resources, where every guest is paired with a volunteer to guide them through the event, encouraging one-on-one connections. Healthcare, career opportunities, education, legal and housing services, as well as haircuts, foot washing, fun and games, donations, food, and great friends help us transform Skid Row into a world of sincere connection, love, and hope.
Pre-Event (prior to week of January 20, 2020):
● Train and supervise volunteers
● Manage volunteer assignments and teams
● Support the executive team with the tasks as assigned
● Receive in kind donations
● Receive all in-kind donations (clothing, toiletries, bedding, etc.,)
● Transport to our storage facilities
Day of Event (January 25, 2020):
● Welcome and orient volunteers
● Oversee operations and logistics
● Liaise between service areas of the Carnival
● Provide up-to-the-minute updates to executive team throughout event
● Perform other duties as assigned
● Event production experience
● Excellent customer service skills
● Team leadership and management experience
● Logistics and transportation experience
● Excellent spatial relationality
● Valid driver's license
● Reliable vehicle capable of carrying donations carefully
● Ability to multitask, work independently, and take initiative
● Precise, detail-oriented work ethic
● Experience delivering social services preferred, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Bilingual in Spanish is a plus
● Awareness of homelessness issues
● Certified or able to be certified in CPR, first aid, and NARCAN administration
● Conflict management skills a plus; must be able to remain calm and collected in the
face of conflict or challenging situations.
● Basic computer skills including word-processing, data entry, and e-mail is required.
Other skills will be taught.
● Ability to work in environments with diverse staff, guests, and volunteers.
● Reports to the Director of Operations
● Works primarily with agencies and volunteers
● Must be able to assist ADA guests if there are mobility issues
● Able to lift up to 50 lbs and must be able to work while standing for long periods of time
● Must be willing and able to travel to service partner sites around Los Angeles (using
one’s own vehicle or means of transportation)
This is an outdoor, rain or shine position, and the Event Production Assistant will be expected to work in all weather conditions. Must be prepared to deal with challenging circumstances that can include the mental health and personal hygiene of program guests.
Job Type: Part-Time, Temporary
● One year of work or volunteer experience with customer service or similar
● High school or equivalent
About the Wayfarer Foundation
The Wayfarer Foundation is a 501(c)3 that is transforming the way communities respond to the needs of people experiencing homelessness. We aim to unify existing communities by creating unique experiences that uplift, empower, and enhance the lives of those who are experiencing homelessness. The Skid Row Carnival of Love (SRCOL) and Wayfarer 1:1 programs (W1:1) connect people to
resources that provide continued support through their journey out of homelessness.
Contact [email protected] with resume and cover letter.