Established in 1987, The “I Have a Dream” Foundation – Los Angeles is the only educational organization in Los Angeles that sponsors entire grade levels of students in underserved communities and works with them for 10+ consecutive years: from elementary school through high school graduation and beyond. Students receive IHADLA’s full services of in-school, after-school, and year- round academic, social, and emotional support.
The Marketing and Development Director will collaborate with the CEO to achieve the “I Have A Dream” Foundation – Los Angeles (IHADLA) marketing and development goals. They will take the lead on IHADLA marketing and social media to help raise awareness of the work that we do and to aid in increasing donations to the foundation. The executive will work in close collaboration with the CEO on corporate sponsorships opportunities. They will ensure that all donations are received, tracked, and acknowledged appropriately, and that all stewardship is appropriately recorded in the fundraising database; they will also assist the CEO with fundraising reporting. The executive will provide day to day event management and support for all fundraising events.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
Reporting Relationship & Evaluation
The Marketing and Development Director will report directly to the CEO.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conceive, research and develop ideas for new fundraising sources including events, donor drives, etc.
- Will act as the day to day point person for all activities, campaigns and fundraising events, including, at our annual fundraiser, managing and facilitating live and silent auctions, dealing with third party vendors, coordinating volunteers, and tracking expenses and revenues.
- Design, produce and prepare promotional/marketing materials and further develop a marketing plan that results in sponsor and donor engagement and retention
- Prepare direct mail initiatives, email appeals, and the IHADLA quarterly newsletter to support fundraising efforts
- Liaise with website developer to implement changes to www.ihadla.org
- Write press releases and work with media outlets as needed
- Manage website and social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Handle the gift receiving, banking, and acknowledgement process
- Oversee and contribute to the IHADLA blog and e-blasts, widely distributed to our donor base and potential funders. This may include interviewing our students or staff to create persuasive and enlightening short articles
- In collaboration with CEO, create and maintain partnerships, promotions, and, sponsorships with corporations and community partners
- Update donor data base
- Solicit in-kind donations or sponsorships
- A strong commitment to IHADLA’s mission and core values
- Has excellent oral and written communication skills
- Has strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Pays keen attention to detail, is highly organized and can prioritize effectively
- Is a strategic thinker, a problem-solver, and is creative and innovative
- Has the ability to work independently on a wide range of projects with minimal supervision
- Thrives in an achievement-oriented, entrepreneurial, and fast-paced environment
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Graduate degree preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in comparable development/marketing work
- Must have experience in marketing and relationship management
- Solid written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to write clearly for, and speak articulately to, a wide range of audiences and diverse communities
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office applications, Publisher, Internet research, email platforms, and database management
- Proficient in DonorPerfect and Constant Contact software and all social media platforms
- Knowledge of social media platforms