General Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Director, Development & Communication is a creative, self-starter, experienced fundraiser and strategic communicator who will oversee all agency fundraising and messaging activities. In partnership with the CEO, the Senior Director will set annual and multi-year goals, develop and implement fundraising and communication plans to achieve those goals, and forge new relationships to build NCJW|LA’s financial resources and visibility.
The Senior Director will work closely with the CEO to determine the staffing needs of the development and communication department, recommend responsible use of resources, and direct staff and volunteer leadership to ensure the success of the agency’s fundraising and messaging strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Serve as a member of the leadership team
- Actively participate in leadership meetings and contribute to strategic discussions related to programs, program evaluation, social enterprise, finance, HR, and admin.
- Provide timely reports to the CEO, CFO, and Board of Directors that track progress toward annual fundraising goals.
- Liaise with the Board of Directors Development and Marketing committee.
- Represent NCJW|LA in various community events and forums.
- Work closely with the CPO to ensure grant commitments and monthly progress on KPIs are in sync with funder expectations.
- Establish personnel accountabilities for your team and evaluate performance, assure stability of the team by contributing to a rewarding working environment.
Help secure the short-term and long-range sustainability of the agency
- Design and execute an annual fundraising strategy that includes but is not limited to individual giving, planned giving, special events, grants, and an annual campaign, in partnership with the CEO and CPO.
- Support the CEO to build the capacity of NCJW|LA’s Board of Directors to identify, cultivate, and steward donors.
- Oversee annual event(s) to increase profitability and/or make recommendations for changes and improvements.
- Collaborate with the CFO to oversee the agency’s budget planning and financial strategy; monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program.
- Provide leadership and support for government and foundation grant applications, including timely submission of proposals and reports, relationship development, and regularly connecting with grant-funded programs to ensure compliance as well as to collect stories and impact data.
Institute best practices and systems
- Create and nurture a culture of philanthropy throughout NCJW|LA and ensure that team members and volunteer leadership across the organization participate in and support fundraising initiatives and goals.
- Remain current with funding sources and trends to keep NCJW|LA ahead of major changes.
- Analyze the effectiveness of fundraising efforts to meet organizational goals and report out results to the board and leadership.
- Oversee best practices in data management with a strong focus on development systems and policies to be used across the organization.
Oversee strategic marketing and communications
- Support the development of clear and consistent brand and communications that articulate our program design, impact measures, and differentiation in the sector; ensure brand guidelines are followed throughout the agency.
- Develop a cohesive strategy for website, newsletters, annual impact reports, and social media messaging; identify KPI’s and work with team to track and report outcomes.
- Ensure marketing efforts throughout the organization clearly and effectively reflect the organization’s fundraising campaigns and initiatives.
- Guide the development of the Case for Support and the creation of template language for funding solicitations.
Key Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 7+ years fund development experience with progressive responsibility.
- Proven success in designing and managing a variety of fundraising campaigns, including six-figure investments.
- Demonstrated success with content development and campaign messaging.
- Proven ability to cultivate existing donors and initiate new prospects.
- Understanding of Los Angeles funding landscape and demonstrated history of securing institutional funding.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to inspire board members, donors, and volunteers.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Experienced team leader with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse groups of people.
- Detail-oriented with ability to think quickly and use sound judgment.