TITLE: Echo Park Farmers’ Market Operations Assistant
STATUS: Part-time Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: $14.25/hr, 5.5 – 8 hours week
REPORTS TO: Manager, Echo Park Farmers’ Market & Manager, Benefits & Incentives
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is the largest mission-driven operator of farmers’ markets in Southern California and a leader in improving food access and nutrition education. SEE-LA is seeking a part-time Market Operations Assistant to provide support with market set-up, breakdown, and administering Market Match at the Echo Park Farmers’ Market at Sunset Blvd & Logan St. This position requires working Fridays at the market (2:00PM - 7:30PM), with hours extended seasonally from mid-October through late February to meet Daylight Savings market needs (1:00 - 9:30 PM).
This position reports to the Farmers’ Market Manager and Manager, Benefits & Incentives Programs. Job responsibilities include physical set-up and break-down of the Market, maintaining a clean market site, assisting market management as directed, and administering CalFresh EBT and Market Match during operating hours.
- Bilingual English/Spanish desired;
- Experience or knowledge of farmers’ markets, food security and nutrition issues preferred;
- Familiarity with federal nutrition benefit programs including CalFresh/SNAP/EBT, Women Infants & Children (WIC), and Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) a plus;
- Familiarity with the community of Echo Park;
- Excellent interpersonal skills - comfortable working with diverse groups of people;
- Retail or market experience highly desired;
- Capable of working cooperatively with staff, volunteers, participants, etc.;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Experience with data collection desired;
- Ability to work outside, stand for up to 8 hours, and lift up to 25 lbs
DUTIES – FARMERS’ MARKETS, ON SITE
SEASONAL: OCTOBER - FEBRUARY
Farmers’ Market Site Assistant (Fridays, 1 - 2 PM, 7:30 - 9:30 PM)
- Support Site Assistant with physical set-up and break-down of market, including but not limited to:
- Set up / breakdown market canopies, tables, chairs, signs, port-a-potty, cones, barricades, and trash cans;
- Organize Information Booth supplies and materials;
- Working with parking enforcement to remove vehicles from vendor parking lot;
- Sweep street and parking lot, empty trash cans as needed throughout the market;
- Unlock and prepare port-a-potty and sink for the market;
- Set up market electricity, including starting generator and laying extension cords throughout market;
- Check and maintain cleanliness throughout the market on a regular basis;
- Lock storage unit and port-a-potty at the end of the market;
- Assure the market site is clean once the market is closed and vendors have left.
Market Match Assistant (Fridays, 2:00PM - 7:30 PM)
- Organize and set up Market Match materials and signage.
- Administer CalFresh/EBT and Market Match transactions for market customers;
- Accurately log all Market Match CalFresh/EBT transactions;
- Engage all Market Match customers with a welcoming attitude, fairness, and courtesy while maintaining confidentiality;
- Be proactive in reporting any emergencies or customer issues immediately to Market Manager(s);
- Educate customers about Market Match program and other SEE-LA markets;
- Occasionally refer customers to appropriate apps, sites, or phone numbers to apply for or gain more info about CalFresh benefits or other food assistance programs;
- Assist Market Manager(s) with communication about program operations;
- Participate in monthly check-ins with Manager of Benefits & Incentives Program;
- Print close out report, organize, and turn in all Market Match materials to Market Manager(s) promptly at closing.
May perform related duties as assigned by management.
DISCLAIMER: The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.