Los Angeles based ballet company, Barak Ballet, seeks an enthusiastic, hard worker to join the team as a part time Managing Director. The ideal candidate will have a passion for arts administration and possess the ability to work well in a small team and individually. This person will have the drive to navigate the organization through a time of major opportunity and growth. Barak Ballet’s mission is to bring innovative, quality concert dance to the city of Los Angeles through regular programming, outreach, education, and community engagement.
Managing Director is to work closely with and report to the Founder & Artistic Director to steward this organization by overseeing planning, implementation, operations, and resource development in order to uphold the mission of the company.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Work in conjunction with Artistic Director towards production strategy and development. Oversee planning and implementation of such productions including possible tasks such as generating timelines, hiring artistic or administrative staff, drafting agreements, marketing/promoting, project assistance, evaluation, etc. Negotiate and execute contracts with independent contractors and other entities (dancers, choreographers, designers, venues, etc.) when necessary.
- Lead marketing efforts for general branding as well as promoting specific projects including generating eBlasts through MailChimp; strategizing and implementing social media plans; designing, printing and distributing physical assets such as postcards or posters; and other marketing strategies.
- Keep abreast of activities and developments in the arts/dance community.
- Maintain a visible presence in the arts/dance community.
Board and Development
- Work with Board of Directors and Artistic Director on all fundraising activities including special events, end of year appeal, and project initiatives.
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with current BB funders.
- Ensure that all contributions and other support are acknowledged as may be required by law and as is otherwise appropriate.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of financial contributions and other substantial support.
- Monitor grant cycles and prepare and submit appropriate grant applications and reports to foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
- Identify new funding opportunities that are aligned with BB’s mission and goals.
- Act as liaison to the Board of Directors and engage them with the company.
- Attend all meetings of the Board; prepare agenda and present reports (including, but not limited to: financial report, staff/administrative report, and other ad hoc reports as required).
- Ensure that accurate books of accounts are maintained using Quickbooks; maintain bank accounts.
- Prepare, submit and obtain approval of annual operating budgets.
- Monitor and authorize expenditures in accordance with approved budget.
- Deposit and record all incoming monies.
- Delegate and oversee all operational aspects of licenses, form filings (example 990’s) and permits.
- Maintain the business office of the organization including answering the phone, monitoring info email account, updating website, etc.
- Maintain documents according to legal requirements and/or Board policies and procedures
- Maintain adequate insurance and manage relationship with insurance broker
Compensation and Benefits:
- Approximately 20 hours per week. Salary $24,000. Benefits include a flexible work schedule, and major growth opportunity.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in arts administration or two or more years of related experience
- Skills and experience in fundraising, marketing, operations and project management
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Multi-tasking, organizational and time management skills
- High attention to detail
- Experience with Quickbooks
- Proficiency with Google Calendar, Google Drive (Docs and Forms), Dropbox, and other web applications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Publisher)
- Familiar with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo
- Passion for arts administration
- Working knowledge of email communication systems (MailChimp) and Wordpress/ HTML a plus
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and additional graphic design skills a plus
- Grantwriting skills a plus