Opportunity Fund, the nation’s leading nonprofit small business lender, believes small dollar loans help hard-working entrepreneurs make lasting change in their own lives and build stronger communities by growing businesses and creating jobs. Opportunity Fund’s community of donors and investors is creating an inclusive financial system that empowers women, immigrant, and minority small business owners.
Our strategy combines microloans for small business owners and New Markets Tax Credit investments in high-impact community infrastructure projects. Since 1994, Opportunity Fund has deployed more than $750 million and helped thousands of entrepreneurs invest in their families’ futures. The organization has committed to lending an additional $1.2 billion to small business owners across the
country and investing $174 million in community real estate projects by 2023.
The Regional Philanthropy Manager, Southern California will play a vital role in creating and executing successful strategies to acquire and steward individual donors in the Southern California region. The Manager will synthesize the case for support for donors, lead individual donor engagement, foster a philanthropic community of support, drive host and sponsor cultivation for regional events to support Opportunity Fund’s growing impact. This position will be part of the Individual Giving team, reporting to the Sr. Director of Leadership Philanthropy.
- Independently identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward gifts from individuals, focusing on commitments of $1000 and above.
- Collaborate with the Sr. Regional Director and Development Associate in the LA office; as well as the Development and Marketing teams in the San Francisco office.
- In collaboration with the Sr. Director of Leadership Philanthropy and SoCal Regional Board, develop a portfolio of prospects and donors, managing the full engagement experience, including prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition.
- Project contributed income and related expenses for annual budgets, and monitor and report on prospects and gift revenues, and report to the Sr. Director of Leadership Philanthropy on progress.
- Collaborate with Institutional and Individual Giving staff to develop and execute cultivation and solicitation strategies for family foundations, wealth managers and donor advised funds.
- In partnership with Institutional Giving and Events teams, support the promotion and production of regional development events. Manage regional event host and sponsorship pipeline including renewals, identification of new prospects, and activation of associated benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible fundraising experience, including demonstrated success working with leadership donors.
- Advanced knowledge of fundraising, donor relations and prospect analysis.
- Interest in the mission and vision of Opportunity Fund.
- Outstanding oral and interpersonal communication skills, including relationship management acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies.
- Persuasive and compelling presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet or exceed goals and objectives through effective program/project planning, organization, execution and evaluation.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, and the ability to recognize and resolve problems proactively.
- Ability to write persuasively, clearly, and concisely, blending information from multiple sources into a single, effective case for support.
- Ability to interact effectively with Board Members, donors, and staff at all levels.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment and demonstrated flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities.
- Excellent skills in MS Office, financial projections, and public speaking.
- Familiarity with managing donor database records, preferably in Salesforce.
- Knowledge of national, regional, and local philanthropic sources preferred.
- Creativity, energy, initiative, and good humor are essential.
- Ability to travel on a regular basis throughout Southern California, with occasional travel within the San Francisco Bay Area and/or nationally.
- Flexibility in work hours and availability some evenings and weekends.
- Deep understanding of the needs, motivations, and interests of major donors.
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment.
Would like to have:
- Graduate degree preferred.
- Knowledge and interest in the fields of microfinance and entrepreneurship.
Perks & Benefits:
Our mission is what motivates us to come to work each day. We know that happy employees are productive employees, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- An environment that values work-life balance.
- 100% company-funded Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverage for employees. Family coverage also available.
- Tax deferred 403(B) retirement plan with employer contribution.
- Paid vacation (increased with tenure), holiday, sick, and family leave days.
- Company fun days (BBQs, holiday parties, etc.), group activities (potlucks, happy hours, etc.), and monthly free lunches.
- Professional development budget for every employee.
- Public transportation or paid parking benefit.