ActiveSGV seeks a highly motivated Communications Manager to support the organization's projects and programs. Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Communications Manager will oversee the development and implementation of ActiveSGV projects, programs, and services aimed at advancing the organization's mission. Individual must be organized and prioritize workload; have experience in organizing and coordinating events; be self-motivated, with the ability to work effectively in both independent and team environments; possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact positively and effectively with colleagues, county and elected officials, corporate and philanthropic representatives, and community members; be comfortable working in a fast-paced, project-driven work environment; be able to work respectfully with people of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds; and be passionate about the organization's focus area. The successful candidate will help create promotional and educational materials, contribute to the development of project websites and presentations, and interact with staff to effectively deliver our message to the public and the media. This is a full time, exempt position with benefits.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Communications Planning & Community Outreach
- Write content for both print and Web including the company website, blog, brochures, and newsletters.
- Responsible for administrative duties which include overseeing program staff, reporting, and program invoicing.
- Create, plan, and implement a communications strategy.
- Monitor the company’s social media and online presence.
- Organize and direct promotional events.
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers/interns.
- Recommend techniques to improve the organizations public image.
- Make sure that all promotional and marketing materials meet the organizations brand identity strategy.
- Identify and resolve any issues with promotional content in a timely and professional manner.
- Assess and report on the effectiveness of communication strategies.
- Coordinate meetings, press conferences, and presentations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, regional, state and federal government representatives and their staff, school board members, business stakeholders, media outlets, public health organizations and other relevant entities.
- When needed, coordinate and facilitate event logistics with partners, subcontractors, vendors, service providers, etc.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, English, Public Relations or Journalism.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a marketing or communications position. Or at least 3 years of experience working on grassroots advocacy campaigns, and/or community events, with youth and underserved populations. Masters degree preferred.
- Possess a solid understanding of effective marketing techniques.
- Must have excellent writing and editing skills.
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Confident knowledge concerning issues, legislation, plans and programs related to sustainable transportation alternatives, environmental justice, public health and safety, economic development, human rights, sustainable living, green infrastructure, recreation opportunities, nutrition and physical activity.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Able to work independently, set, manage and meet goals, outcomes and deadlines, with impeccable organizational skills and consistent follow-through.
- Proficient knowledge using Photoshop, InDesign, and other design tools to create promotional materials.
- Tactful and highly persuasive, with good judgment, enthusiasm, energy, and a positive outlook.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, especially public speaking.
- Preferred: fluent Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), or Vietnamese language skills.
- An effective team player with an ability to draw out leadership capabilities in others.
- Willing to take public transit, bike, or use alternative methods of sustainable transportation to attend events/meetings.
- Full medical, dental, and vision. 403b retirement plan.
- We are a bike friendly office, offer remote work opportunities, and are located 4 miles from the Arcadia Gold Line Station/less than 2 miles from the El Monte Bus Depot.
Level of Language Proficiency Preferred: fluent Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), or Vietnamese language skills.