- Provides leadership and manage the day to day activities involved in the planning, design, and development of various preconstruction activities related to large capital projects, such as school construction and modernization projects.
- Initiates performance metrics and commands the implementation and monitoring of performance of Development Managers and other staff involved with pre-construction activities.
- Plans internal and external resources required to coordinate every facet of the development and pre-construction of projects.
- Oversees and directs various school planning activities; including conceptual planning as a collaborative venture; project budgets and schedules; cost control and dispute resolution.
- Manages and directs pre-construction and design-build capital projects through interface with various core teams including Master Planning, Project Controls, Demographics, Real Estate, Community Outreach, Office of Environmental Health and Safety, Maintenance and Operations, and Project Execution in various phases of project development.
- Manages staff in the procurement of Architectural and Engineering (A/E) contracts by establishing standards and selection procedures.
- Audits various pre-construction activities such as site assessments, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) design, off-site approvals, political interface, outreach, funding strategies, and application process.
- Reviews, recommends and implements pre-construction policies and procedures for the planning and development of large capital projects.
- Serves as advisor and resource in resolving pre-construction project issues by settling difference of opinions, conflicts in schedules and disagreements over the most efficient approach to the plan and design of large capital projects, such as school modernization projects.
- Establishes, designates and prioritizes the needs of capital projects and develop the most appropriate design.
- Oversees the prioritization and phasing of facilities and properties for future use; collaborates with various departments in redevelopment efforts such as the selection and acquisition of potential sites.
- Directs the activities of planning and design departments regarding the creation and design of architectural plans by third-party professional architectural and engineering commissioning agents for submission and approval by the Division of the State Architect (DSA).
- Makes presentations to Board Members, District administrators, and representatives of public agencies and stakeholders.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- 17 years full time paid professional experience in the development and management of large capital projects, preferably, the construction and modernization of schools
- Primary responsibilities must include management of teams involved in architectural planning, design and development of large campus, projects and programs
- Graduation from a recognized college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Engineering, Facilities Planning, Urban Planning or Construction Management, OR
- Candidates without the required degree, must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher in any course and additional 4 years of experience, to compensate for the degree on a year for year basis
- Advanced degree in Architecture or Planning is preferred
- Additional courses in Business Administration, Public Relations, Accounting, School Finance,
- Personnel Management and Communication is preferred
- A Masters degree in Architecture or Engineering is preferred
- A valid Certificate of Registration as an Architect by the California State Architectural Board or Professional Engineer by the State Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors