Reporting directly to the Director of Communications (“Director”), the Communications Manager (“Manager”) oversees the planning and production of key materials and assets related to communication advocacy, fundraising and event-based campaigns. The Manager will oversee the content strategy and maintenance of communications channels, including organizational email campaigns, websites, social media, digital advertising, and earned media.
As assigned by the Director of Communications, the Manager assists in coordinating and managing the production of organizational and programmatic messaging frameworks, which inform campaign strategy and production plans.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Strategic Communications Advocacy
- Develop and execute a communications strategy in partnership with programmatic staff to reinforce the organizational mission and vision, lift the visibility of the organization’s programmatic work and support identified goals and priorities;
- Provide communications technical assistance to coalition and partner organizations and allies to augment ongoing advocacy campaigns; and
- Manage process for speaking engagements, including identifying opportunities for APCA staff and partners to address key stakeholder groups on priority issues.
- Produce persuasive writing that drives targeted audiences to be educated or act; and
- Develop and disseminate messaging to support the work of coalition and state-based partners.
- Oversee workflow from the production of messaging and asset design to print and posting content on multiple websites and blogs;
- Develop and manage the communications editorial calendar in collaboration with other APCA teams; drafting and posting content regularly to keep the site up-to-date, andmanaging the blog writing and editing process for staff and guest contributors;
- Review, edit, proofread, and oversee the production of APCA publications, including reports, one-sheets, infographics, the organization’s annual report, education materials for donors, event promotions, and other materials;
- Manage relationships with vendors such as designers, web developers and printers; and
- Handle administrative tasks related to communications work such as document/asset storage, maintaining media lists and tracking placements, and fulfilling requests for APCA materials and information.
Digital Platform Management
- Oversee organization’s website, social media and email marketing to share organizational news, promote advocacy campaigns, events, and broaden programmatic audiences;
- Implement search engine optimization techniques to increase visibility;
- Enforce process guidelines, quality and frequency standards, and best practices for user engagement for email and social media campaigns; and
- Maintain organizational YouTube channel.
- Develop advertising strategies for Twitter Ads and Facebook Editors, ensuring ad creatives are optimized for delivery and in compliance with social media advertising policies and political content guidelines; and
- Execute list acquisition and retention campaigns to grow APCA’s base of engaged followers; continued optimization of conversion and engagement rate.
- Support media relations, including writing and disseminating press releases, pitching stories to targeted reporters, drafting talking points and message frameworks, crafting statements, and arranging interviews with APCA spokespersons; and
- Create and execute strategic, high-quality press events that spur coverage, shift narratives, and drive key stakeholders to act; and
- Draft communications plans and tool kits that draw upon traditional media relations tactics while integrating innovative uses of digital platforms and content.
Research & Analytics
- Track and analyze data gathered from websites, search, email, social media to optimize interaction with target audiences and expand reach; and
- Work with Director to update performance dashboards each quarter and share with staff.
- Support organization-wide planning, development, and communication activities, as needed and ensure adherence to APCA’s goals and policies; and
- Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
An individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned to satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sincere and demonstrated commitment to advancing social, economic, and/or racial justice progress for the highest-need communities.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in communications or marketing preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential job duties considered.
- Strong interpersonal, written, analytical, and verbal communication skills are required.
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to details are required.
- A minimum of four years of digital advocacy and/or media relations experience, including a demonstrated record of managing digital platforms, producing persuasive content, pitching stories, cultivating reporter relations, and staffing messengers for interviews.
- Experience in strategic communications advocacy preferred.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people, including local, state, and national partner organizations.
- Collaborative, dependable self-starter with a record of producing high-quality work for different audiences under tight deadlines.
- Ability to create and present compelling and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics to movement leaders and partner organizations promptly, often on short notice.
- Excellent computer skills, proficient with MS Office, Photoshop and/or Canva, Mail Chimp and/or non-profit CRM applications; Adobe and Final Cut experience a plus.
- Flexibility to adjust and contribute to continually evolving work situations and changing priorities.
- Must be able to travel locally and statewide.
Competitive compensation depending on experience. Includes full health, dental and retirement benefits.