We’re looking for a new member for the Cali Calls team! California Calls is a growing alliance of 30 grassroots, community-based organizations spanning urban, rural and suburban counties across the state. We are building a movement of voters using our power to create laws that work for ALL Californians – not just corporations or the richest 1%. We engage, educate and motivate new and infrequent voters among young people, from communities of color, and from poor and working class neighborhoods to make California’s electorate reflect our state’s diverse population. Our goal is to achieve the systemic change our communities deserve—not just what’s “winnable” today.
In this era of attacks on our communities and attempts to roll back the progress we’ve made over the last 75 years, we must double down on building real and lasting power in every corner of our state. We’re looking for an Organizing Coordinator for the Black Census and Redistricting Hub, to support local Black-led organizations build power by working to ensure a complete count of California’s Black communities while integrating voter engagement into their organizing and campaign work.
You’ll need to have a passion for organizing and a desire to learn. You’ll be part of a team guided by thoughtful, strategic planning, analysis and evaluation. To help lead ground-breaking statewide organizing campaigns, we need someone who learns quickly and a is self-starter but can also balance the small operational details with the long-term vision of our work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with California Calls’ staff, consultants and partner organizations of our statewide Black Census & Redistricting Hub to help develop, implement and support outreach and organizing strategies to increase Black people’s participation in the 2020 Census & Redistricting processes.
- Work closely with partner organizations’ staff and leadership to plan and carry out large-scale statewide voter engagement, census outreach, and base building programs.
- Plan and facilitate group one-on-ones, coalition convenings, team coordination, and partner meetings to build relationships and to drive the planning and implementation of civic engagement programs
- Help lead the planning for voter education and get out the vote programs, including Campaign and Issue Focus, Voter Analysis, Targeting, and Messaging.
- Assist with data-driven Voter Targeting, Analysis, and Evaluation of our voter engagement work using online voter database tools (examples: PDI or VAN).
- Help develop Training and Political Education plans and materials for organizations and their leaders.
- Assist with training and support for field program operations, including use of voter contact technology and reporting systems.
- Experience in developing and leading voter engagement, community/labor organizing or social justice campaigns;
- Experience in managing phone banking and canvass programs, outreach teams, volunteer coordination, community mobilizations and/or community events;
- Experience working with and knowledge of low-income communities of color in California;
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Experience developing and leading trainings and convenings for various audiences
- Computer skills: strong knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and/or database software.
- Bilingual (English-Spanish) skills desirable, but not required.
- Valid driver’s license, personal car insurance, a personal vehicle in good working condition with valid registration.
- No later than the first day of employment must provide acceptable documents for proof of identity and employment authorization in the United States for Form I-9.