The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking a Lead Web Developer for our Creative Service department. The Lead Web Developer is responsible for bringing to life the digital strategy across all interactions in a digitally expanding institution. The Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County (NHMLAC) is poised for an exciting new era following the completion of a new strategic framework. NHMLAC includes the Natural History Museum in Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits Museum, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Develops visitor user experiences that integrate immersive technologies to existing social, web and exhibit presence, creating an immersive, user-friendly design/interactive solutions.
- Responsible for leading the digital strategy, developing and implementing an integrated comprehensive digital program that engages physical and virtual visitors alike.
- Manages the Museum's websites and digital landscape (including planning, producing and implementing projects within a digital roadmap).
- Integrates design and development of all digital touchpoints and functionality, ensuring strong optimization and best practices.
- Recommends and oversees System Maintenance administering Linux and Apache, including SSL and PCI compliance. Interacts with servers using SSH, FTP, and Telnet protocols.
- Plans overall web/digital related projects and development and monitors website technical performance, web servers, and other web systems. Works on projects including web layout enhancements, website enhancements, web-based applications, and database-backed websites using MySQL and MSSQL Server with Drupal 6/7/8, CSS and XHTML.
- Supervising interactive design/functionality/databases for NHMLAC’s web and mobile experiences, leveraging latest industry trends, ensuring optimization and best practices.
- Co-creating and integrating digital experience strategies together with the leadership team of Marketing, Design & Communications that advance NHMLAC’s strategic initiatives and marketing initiatives.
- Leading directly with teams from other departments, operations and external programs bringing a digital experience strategy across all visitor touch points Generating prototypes for concepts or wireframes that realize the goals of the digital experience strategy.
- Managing team (including Junior Web Developer/contractors/agencies) that delivers a range of industry-recognized digital experiences.
- Defining and developing dashboards for relevant analytics across all digital platforms.
- Anticipating and developing protocols for technical infrastructure.
- Overseeing technical standard/compliance protocols for database development across web and web-based applications (e.g. MySQL NoSQL, and MSSQL and Linux/Apache).
- Partnering cross-functionally to develop/implement a digital roadmap, pipeline of projects or strategic initiatives, including collaborating with exhibitions on piloting AR projects in La Brea Tar Pits
This position has the following requirements:
- Minimum 4-5 years of professional digital-related experience with an emphasis on web/mobile platforms (not including time spent in school)
- Bachelor’s degree required (Design or Computer Science preferred)
- 75% hands-on development work—we are seeking technologists who deliver thoughtful solutions and can adapt quickly to shifting requests/deliverables
- Strong visitor/user-centered design approach and understanding of the agile methodology
- Strong visual, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate and present ideas to cross-functional business partners
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Experience interfacing with corporate clients (agency/consultancy background helpful)
- Experience with the following technologies:
- LAMP Stack
- Python (Django)
- PHP (Drupal, Wordpress)
- Database (MySQLi SQL, NoSQL, PostgreSQL)
- CSS Frameworks (Gulp/Sass/Less is a plus)
- Google Analytics/SEO
- Adobe Creative Suite
- MailChimp is a plus
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is especially interested in candidates whose background and experience have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion at culturally diverse audiences in museum and in sciences.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full time regular, non-exempt position.