The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Winners will be announced on June 4, 2019.
Check out the entries!
826LA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with oneonone attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind, we provide afterschool tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, inschool tutoring, support for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. All of our free programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in his or her individual voice.
826LA is looking for a team of Summer Associates to assist in planning and running our 3week Write On! Summer Camp created to support English Language Learners (ELL). Summer Associates work out of either our Mar Vista or Echo Park location. 826LA's Write On! Camp works with students ages 7 to 11 from underresourced LAUSD Title 1 schools. The goal for Write On! Camp is to support these students as they become more confident writers, enthusiastic readers, strong communicators, and published authors. Summer Associates work with 826LA staff to implement lesson plans, and interact with and oversee volunteers and students.
The Summer Associates position is a fulltime (40 hours a week) and shortterm service opportunity. Applicants must be available between June 3rd and August 9th.
Summer Associates job responsibilities include:
● Running 826LA’s 3week Write On! Summer Camp for our underresourced students, including the execution of daily lesson, plans based on weekly themes;
● Working with a team to manage two sessions daily of up to 30 students each between the ages of 7 and 11, with diverse learning styles, ability levels, and language skills;
● Overseeing volunteerstudent relationships to ensure a positive volunteer experience and keep students engaged and excited about learning;
● Working closely with team members, including staff, interns, and fellow Summer Associates.
Required Qualifications for the Summer Camp Associate position include:
● Minimum of eighteen-years-old
● High school diploma or equivalent
● Experience working with children, including relevant volunteer work
● Available between June 3rd through August 19th
● Excellent organizational skills
● Strong communication skills, including confidence with public speaking
● An interest in the educational field, writing, or a career with children
Preferred Qualifications for the Summer Camp Associate position include:
● Background or ongoing experience in education
● Written and spoken Spanishlanguage proficiency
● Strong writing skills
Please submit your application through the AmeriCorps website:
826LA Summer Associate positions are hosted through the All Ways Up Foundation, and applications are accepted through the AmeriCorps website. Please indicate in your application that you are interested in applying for the Write On! Summer Camp Summer Associate position at 826LA.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, May 1, 2019