The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Public voting has started!
Vote by April 29, 2019
Founded three years ago, Ready to Succeed LA (RTS) is a Career Accelerator that supports and empowers former foster youth to succeed through college and beyond. By providing career coaching and guidance, access to competitive internships and job opportunities, and meaningful relationship networks of key professionals, RTS helps our scholars realize their dreams to graduate career and life-ready. For more information about Ready to Succeed LA, please visit us at www.readytosucceedla.org
Position Summary for Director of Student Success:
By building close relationships and a deep understanding with our scholars over an extended period, RTS’s Director of Student Success focuses on commitment and consistency. This role is key to building meaningful relationships with RTS scholars, the RTS team and support partners in order to ensure scholars receive the best possible guidance in their journey through college and beyond. This role focuses around case management of 25 - 40 active scholars, and is responsible for addressing what is needed in order for the scholars to reach their individual desired outcomes.
This is a new full-time position based in Santa Monica. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include PTO, medical/dental coverage.
Ready to Succeed LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for
employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Build and implement clinical support program for all RTS scholars. Provide the appropriate clinical support for their various psychological needs
● Communicate regularly with scholars and their RTS team via phone, email or text and in person regarding their progress towards their mental health and wellness, individualized goals, personal and professional, and academic + career status
● Regularly monitor scholars’ progress to ensure they are progressing at four-year colleges/universities
● Implement and facilitate in-depth in-take and assessment process/guidelines for new scholars entering the program
● Develop and manage individual development plans with all scholars to ensure maximum success in the program
● Teach or direct to resources on life skills and health/wellness/stress-coping strategies (everything from time management to healthy eating)
● Reinforce basic academic skills and learning, time management skills
● Refer scholars to community-based support services and academic enrichment opportunities as needed
● Track and document all service efforts made on behalf of scholars in appropriate database, CRM
● On-campus meetings with scholars, one-on-one and group workshops, as required (up to twice a week, subject to change), field work will be approximately 50% of the time
● Assist with mentor program, training and workshops for mentors
● Supporting students with ad hoc and unforeseen challenges, anything from housing placements to financial budgeting, medical issues to academic/major changes
Outreach and Resource Development
● Cultivate relationships and serve as a liaison/advocate among Guardian Scholar Staff at each school represented by RTS scholars and community partners to increase awareness of the needs of foster youth to ensure the scholars’ success.
Program Implementation and Development
● Facillilate and execute student and personal development workshops
● Assist with coordination of monthly student events
● Analyze caseload outcomes and trends and work with Career Success team to improve program model and service delivery
● Assist in screening and recruiting new scholars, including application, interview process and assessment
General RTS Responsibilities
● Act as a role model within the organization to uphold and implement RTS’s organizational values
● Embrace program evaluation that leads to excellence and impact
● Build effective and empowering partnerships with the youth and community
● Create a fun and exciting environment that inspires learning and innovation
● Communicate openly, honestly and with humility across all groups
● Work together as one organization
● Work closely with entire team, specifically with Co-Founders and Director of Career Success
● Position reports to Co-Founders
● Some evening and weekend work/events required throughout the year
● Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, social work or related field.
● Masters of Social Work or other counseling degree preferred
● At least 2 years experience providing direct case management and counseling services
● Direct service work or understanding of issues faced by former foster youth at risk-youth, college-age youth, homeless or other underserved populations preferred
● Strong organizational and entrepreneurial skills, including independent decision making
● Strong interpersonal skills and effective time management
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]