Under the direction of the Integration and Learning Manager and in partnership with the Measurement, Learning, and Evaluation Department, the Organizational Learning Specialist is responsible for implementing organization-wide processes and tools to support First 5 LA’s learning culture. S/he is responsible for collaborating with internal teams to develop and implement learning agendas. S/he will implement the knowledge work technical assistance strategy internally. S/he is also responsible for structuring and leading structured learning sessions that promote integration and learning across all levels and functions in the organization. In addition, s/he is expected to stay abreast and knowledgeable of established and cutting edge developments in the process improvement methods, and organizational development field to shared and adapt internally as appropriate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Organizational Learning Specialist should visibly demonstrate the adopted organizational values of collaboration, integrity, respect, accountability, purpose, shared leadership and learning in the execution of their key areas of
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Promotes Knowledge-building work across the organization
- Co-develops and delivers Learning agendas across the organization
- Implements Knowledge Management tools and processes
- Implements the technical assistance strategy for knowledge-building work
- Develops and implements structured learning opportunities for all staff
- Promotes a culture of strategic learning and knowledge sharing internally to amplify the organizations impact and effectiveness
- Implements effective techniques, procedures and tools for organizing, applying and transferring observations, insights, and lessons across the organization vertically and horizontally
- Collaborates and provides consultation to staff teams on knowledge-building work, including the development and implementation of learning plans
- Develops and shares internally templates, briefs, text documents and other knowledge products
- Collaborates with the Human Resources department to help inform training and staff development to enhance the effectiveness of employee performance in achieving the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Escalates issues to inform recommendations for changes in policies and procedures related to organizational effectiveness
- Builds the capacity of departments to develop and implement strategies to monitor progress and continually improve
- In collaboration with internal staff, develops and leads structured reflection sessions and meaning-making workshops to collect insights from staff and identify opportunities for action to be taken on account of those insights
- Identifies areas of opportunity where knowledge work can create efficiencies and existing knowledge can be leveraged in meaningful ways
- Collaborates with the Measurement, Evaluation and Learning department to help inform the knowledge activities and learning agendas
- In collaboration with the Learning Associate and Manager, Knowledge Management, co-designs or develops knowledge management tools and products
- Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values a diversity of perspectives
- Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with State regulations, local ordinances and First 5 LA directives
- Keeps apprised of all laws, regulations, statutes, rules and policies affecting First 5 LA and Proposition 10
- Supervises contractors and consultants, as needed
- Collaborates both internally and with external stakeholders to capture, synthesize and share learning and knowledge outcomes from the ongoing execution of all activities as necessary
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
- Possesses Customer-Focused Mindset: Is aware of and considers relevant internal and external stakeholders and their needs (customers); identifies solutions to be responsive to stakeholder needs; considers impact when executing daily tasks
- Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams; is able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public officials and the general public
- Communicates Effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; demonstrates active listening and
- comprehension; selects and uses appropriate communication methods to keep others appropriately informed; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
- Demonstrates Integrity and Judgment: Follows through on commitments letting others know of his/her true intentions; ensures decision-making or recommendations are fact-based and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Demonstrates Critical Thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to effectively think through problems and
- information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches
- Demonstrates Strategic Thinking: Considers issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; identifies alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to layout several points of view on a course of action to accomplish goals
Job Specific Competencies
- Role Specific Content: Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to listen attentively and interact effectively with individuals at all levels and functions within the organization; skilled at meeting facilitation and designing effective learning sessions, with solid understanding of adult learning principles and approaches to sustaining engagement in the learning process; dedicated to providing quality technical assistance and training to internal stakeholders; adept at leading as well as collaborating with others within a team-based environment, resolving competing interests from different levels of the organization, and influencing decisions in a constructive manner; ability to deal with ambiguity
- Content Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively
- Planning and Organization and Project Management: Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives;ability to manage high performance projects
- Minimum of three years of experience working in complex work environments with cross-functional teams and individuals from different levels and functions across the organization preferred
- Strong experience working effectively with diverse team composed of individuals from different levels and functions across the organization
- Strong experience in knowledge acquisition, creation, refinement, storage, transfer, sharing and utilization within a dynamic and complex organization
- Lean Six Sigma experience preferred
- Firsthand experience facilitating, training and coaching others to reflect, and learn new processes/information preferred
- Effective facilitator of diverse stakeholders with differing opinions to identify problems and recommend an approach to address the root cause of problems
- Proven experience in the design and delivery of capacity development, coaching and mentoring activities, using adult learning techniques
- Experience developing and editing high quality written materials, including: procedures, memos, blogs, online content, briefs, and reports
- Experience with applying research methods in qualitative or quantitative research or evaluation research preferred
- Experience working in a philanthropic setting preferred
- Advanced degree from an accredited college or university in Organizational Development, Business, and/or the social sciences or a related field preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proficiency in at least one data design and visualization software tool (i.e. Tableau). Data visualization software experience preferred.
- Proficiency in database development preferred
- Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
- Valid automobile liability insurance
- This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.