The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Submit your idea by March 29, 2019
Food Forward’s mission is to fight hunger and prevent food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need and inspiring others to do the same. Produce reaches eight Southern California counties via distribution by hundreds of hunger relief agencies across virtually all social service sectors: homeless outreach, domestic violence shelters, street youth homes, veteran services, LGBT teen/adult/senior services, after-school programs, the mentally disabled, low-income college programs, and many more. With a small staff and the volunteer-power of over 7,000 registered volunteers, we will help feed over 2 million Southern Californians struggling with food insecurity this year.
The Events & Partnerships Manager will report to the Director of Development. S/he will be responsible for overseeing and growing a wide array of income earning and donor cultivation events. Must be a self-starter and possess exceptional communication, written, and critical thinking skills. Working closely with the Development Director, s/he will also be tasked with engaging and maintaining revenue generating corporate and event sponsorships and passive income relationships, along with other partnerships throughout the year. Candidate should be extremely personable, able to keep small and large teams on point, and posses excellent multitasking and negotiation skills. These, along with ambition and a willingness to learn, are essential traits. The candidate should also be passionate about hunger and food justice issues. Food Forward is rapidly expanding, and this position has great potential for growth!
* See our core values below.
• Point person on Food Forward events, from large-scale fundraisers, like our annual Spring Melt, to intimate donor cultivation gatherings.
• Solicit and manage all aspects of Private Picks (Food Forward’s income-generating, teambuilding fruit harvests) for corporate, non-profit, faith-based, and other groups.
• Manage existing partnerships and conduct research on new income-generating and long-term cultivation opportunities with corporate partners.
• Seek out, execute, and manage an array of revenue generating, brand-centric promotions throughout the year with local restaurants, chefs, retailers, food businesses, and others.
• Oversee creative marketing, social media, and promotion of all events.
• Work closely with the development team to create new donor cultivation and corporate experience events.
• Conduct regular analysis of our existing donor base and prospects to inform current and new event opportunities.
• Act as key staff liaison to our Culinary Advisory Board and Earned Income Committee.
• Vet partners, prior to engagement, to ensure they are on mission and/or fit the culture of Food Forward.
• Manage all affiliated vendor relationships, negotiate related agreements and documentation, and oversee related compliance issues (i.e. permits, insurances, etc.).
• Assist with development projects to expand Food Forward’s fundraising capacity.
Other Required Qualifications:
• Minimum 3 to 5-years of event planning and production.
• Experience with preparing and managing budgets and producing income/expense reports.
• Excellent leadership skills.
• Proficiency in creating and adhering to event timelines.
• Enthusiasm and creativity around the development of community and corporate relationships.
• Proven experience working with VIPs, and maintains a high level of professionalism with all stakeholders.
• Previous experience managing a corporate volunteer program is desired.
• Flexible, team player, and able to work well under pressure.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced, open-space environment.
• Past employment or contract work in the non-profit world.
• Fundraising experience.
• Basic graphic design skills and comfortable with minimal art direction as it relates to branding and layout.
• Experience using Salesforce and/or other CRM software.
• Skilled in all Microsoft Office Suite programs.
• Passion for and knowledge of food justice/anti-hunger world.
• A valid driver’s license, reliable source of transportation, and ability to navigate Southern California.
• Must be willing to work occasional nights and weekends.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds, sit, stand, walk, climb stairs, bend, lift, twist, kneel, and crouch.
• Comfortable driving large, utility-style vans and trucks in compliance of traffic and safety laws.
Application Deadline: March 25th, but applicants are strongly encouraged to apply a.s.a.p.
Desired Start Date: April 29th, 2019
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours a week with occasional evening and weekend hours
Compensation: $50,000-$65,000 per year D.O.E.
Sample Benefits currently include:
• 100% Medical and Vision
• Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
• Generous PTO and paid holiday package, with additional sick days
• Cell phone allowance
• Telecommuting and work flexibility
Food Forward Core Values:
• Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
• Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
• Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
• Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
• Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
• Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
How to Apply: Send a cover letter in the body of an email including: where did you discover this listing; if you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why; and what can you bring to the Events & Partnerships Manager position?
Attach your resume as a PDF and send it to [email protected] The subject line should read, Events & Partnerships Mgr. – (Your Name).
No phone calls or in person visits. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward strongly encourages people of color, women, l/g/b/t/q individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply.