The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Winners will be announced on June 4, 2019.
Check out the entries!
Food Forward’s mission is to fight hunger and prevent food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need and inspiring others to do the same. Produce reaches those in need in eight Southern California counties via distribution by hundreds of hunger relief agencies across virtually all social service sectors: homeless outreach, domestic violence shelters, street youth homes, veteran services, LGBT teen/adult/senior services, after-school programs, the mentally disabled, low-income college programs, and many more. With the volunteer-power of over 7,000 registered volunteers and a modest staff, we will help feed over 2 million Southern Californians in need this year alone.
The Administrative Assistant will report to the Director of Development. S/he will provide support in all areas of fundraising: individual donors, foundations, corporate supporters, events, etc. One of the primary focuses of this position is to maintain the fundraising database (Salesforce). This includes keeping contact information current and donation acknowledgement. S/he also will help generate reports and compile data. The Administrative Assistant will also support donor and community cultivation events, including harvests, Foodsteader classes, tabling at public events, and more.
The ideal candidate is passionate about hunger/food justice issues. S/he must be a self-starter who has an acute interest in learning non-profit fundraising. The candidate must possess exceptional organizational, communication, written, and critical thinking skills. These, along with ambition and a willingness to learn, are non-negotiable traits. Food Forward has been rapidly expanding since inception, and this new position has great potential for growth!
* See our core values below.
• Keen passion for food justice is desired
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Aptitude and affinity for organizing large amounts of electronic data
• Exercises good judgment in handling confidential and sensitive donor information
• Ability to manage time and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
• Fundamental understanding and/or proficiency in basic bookkeeping is preferred
• Skilled in Microsoft Office, Google Sheets, and GoogleDocs
• Experience working with Salesforce and/or other CRM or donor software is strongly preferred
• Process and acknowledge individual gifts, grants, and all other income
• Keep CRM database (Salesforce) current and tidy
• Assist with other development projects and events, as needed
• Flexible, team player, and able to work well under pressure.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced, open-space environment.
• A valid driver’s license, reliable source of transportation, and ability to easily navigate Southern California.
• Must be willing to work occasional nights and weekends.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds, sit, stand, walk, climb stairs, bend, lift, twist, kneel, and crouch.
Application Deadline: Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply a.s.a.p.
Desired Start Date: late-April
Hours: 20 hours a week (non-exempt), with potential for additional hours
Wage: $15-$17 hr. DOE
Food Forward Core Values:
• Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
• Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
• Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
• Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
• Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
• Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
Send a cover letter in the body of an email including: where did you discover this listing; if you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why; and what can you bring to the Development Administrative Assistant position?
Attach your resume as a PDF and send it to [email protected] The subject line should read, Admin Asst. – (Your Name).
No phone calls or in person visits. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward strongly encourages people of color, women, l/g/b/t/q individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply.