The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Submit your idea by March 29, 2019
The Legal Services Advocate is responsible for client advocacy within The Center’s Legal Services Department. Essential duties include LGBTQ-specific case management, legal document preparation, court accompaniment, consult and coordination with department attorney(s), crisis intervention, and other legal advocacy related to survivor and client empowerment. This position reports to the Director of Legal Services and serves as the department’s legal advocate, including providing linkage to care with other services and Center Departments, where appropriate.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide direct comprehensive legal advocacy and support services, including to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, hate crimes, assault, and other forms of violence; services include but are not limited to, crisis counseling, crisis intervention, case management, court accompaniment, form preparation, and LGBTQ-specific safety planning.
• Engage in legal advocacy and liaise with legal system institutional actors where appropriate, including law enforcement, City Prosecutors, District Attorneys, City Attorneys, Victim Witness programs, and other court personnel.
• Assist survivors in obtaining emergency and permanent housing, including LGBTQ inclusive domestic violence shelter, legal advocacy, case management, mental health services, and transportation as needed.
• Conduct outreach at targeted community events including resource fairs, anti-violence awareness events, LGBTQ pride events, cultural festivals, and other events to ensure LGBTQ visibility and inclusivity.
• Assist in providing LGBTQ-specific legal advocacy at local, statewide, and national stakeholder working groups, coalitions, and boards to ensure LGBTQ visibility and inclusivity.
• Assist in trainings on LGBTQ anti-violence legal advocacy issues for service providers, including attorneys, prosecutors, court personnel, law enforcement, and other anti-violence service providers.
• Maintain client files and report client contacts and outreach activities as required by funder(s), including assisting in programmatic reports.
• Represent The Center at community functions, mixers, conferences, and resource events as needed.
• Assist in the expansion of Legal Services, including identifying emerging issues and supporting legal clinic expansion.
• Assist in compilation and tracking of client data under state, federal, government and private foundation funding, including providing regular and ongoing assistance to the Director of Legal Services.
• Attend all agency, funder, and outside meetings as required.
Other duties as necessary or assigned.
Desired Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
• A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in legal or social services is preferred.
• 65-hour California Sexual Assault Counselor Certification is a plus.
• 40-hour California Domestic Violence Counselor Certification a plus.
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
• Knowledge of anti-violence legal issues, survivor crisis counseling, and case management is a plus.
• Demonstrated history and strong knowledge of batterer/survivor differentiation techniques and methods a plus.
• Demonstrated history and experience working with survivors of sexual assault a plus.
• At least two years’ experience working on issues of anti-violence in the LGBTQ community is preferred.
• Knowledge of LGBTQ communities is preferred.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills with an eye for detail required.
• Ability to lead groups and trainings.
• Strong computer skills including the entire Microsoft Office suite.
• Demonstrated success working with diverse populations, exceptional work ethic, and self-initiative required. Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required.
• Outgoing personality with high level of comfort meeting new people and engaging in social situations.
• Evening and weekend availability required.
Please send resume and cover letter to: Mieko Failey, Esq. The LGBTQ Center Long Beach by E-Mail to [email protected] or by fax to 562.433.6428