The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Winners will be announced on June 4, 2019.
Check out the entries!
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes seeks a dynamic and passionate individual to closely assist with LA Plaza’s Public Programs and Rental Events. Splitting their time between Public Programs and Special Events, this staff will (1) provide effective and efficient support for public programs to ensure smooth program delivery and includes administrative, logistical and information management assistance with LA Plaza team members (security and porters), as well as and coordinating logistics of public programs consisting of talks, film screenings, musical events and family days; (2) will be responsible for the intake of all rental requests, completion of all stages of assigned rental events (pre, during and post event duties) and miscellaneous special events projects.
LA Plaza is one of the busiest event venues in the downtown area, with more than 250 activities presented in 2018 ranging from small groups to several-thousand-person activities conducted in its indoor meeting rooms and outdoor garden space.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Rental Events:
• Rental Inquiry intake: Assistant will be responsible for processing rental inquiries. This includes cross-checking calendar for space and date availability and filtering requests by event size, type and logistical complexity with particular attention to clients with growth potential.
• Rental Event Stages: Assistant will work with Director to oversee all stages of the assigned rentals.
• Assistant Scheduling: Assistant must have flexible schedule to work within a sporadic event schedule based on program and client needs. Assistant must be available to work evenings and weekends.
• Rental Department Projects: Assistant will also work on rental projects that generate new rental activity.
• Event Coordination: On-site staffing to assure smooth coordination of events with clients. Coordinate event functions with security and janitorial staff.
Operational Support of Public Programs
Required Education, Certifications/Licenses and Language/Cultural Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree (in Recreation, Parks & Tourism, Business, Event Management, Communications, or related field preferred) or equivalent years of Event Coordination/Development experience.
Minimum Experience and Qualifications Required:
• Flexible working hours that include evening and weekend assignments.
• Ability to handle pressure of time sensitive projects.
• Ability to work independently and mindfully troubleshoot when necessary.
• Excellent organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize and successfully bring them to fruition.
• Self-starter comfortable with taking initiative.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy and professionalism in dealing with individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
• Ability to work well with volunteers, colleagues, rental vendors and clients.
• Must effectively coordinate rental efforts with sensitivity to, awareness and consideration of all LA Plaza departments.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with regard to sensitive or proprietary information or materials.
• Computer literate and experience using office productivity, publications and database software (e.g. MS Word, Excel).
• Must have a valid California driver’s license and comprehensive automobile insurance coverage, as required by law.
• Familiarity and experience working with LatinX communities desirable; bilingual skills preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Spends approximately 60% of work time sitting and meeting with others or working at a desk and/or computer. Spends approximately 40% of work time standing or walking within the work area or outside the office at meetings and events, also bends, twists, stoops and reaches. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally. Regularly required to sit, bend, talk and hear. Frequently is required to use hands to touch, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds. Working conditions are normal for an office environment and event venues. The noise level is usually moderate.
$35,000 per year– This is a non-exempt position
LA Plaza offers a competitive compensation package that includes:
• Individual health, dental, and vision care
• Free parking
• 90-day introductory period
• Direct Deposit of paycheck
• Non-match 401K
• Optional AFLAC coverage
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Please send resume and cover letter, demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to [email protected]