The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Submit your idea by March 29, 2019
Food Forward, an award-winning Los Angeles-based anti-hunger and food waste NPO has been growing exponentially
since its inception 10 years ago. The executive director (ED) and board of directors are looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, systems-thinking and process-minded leader with experience scaling an organization, leading a high- functioning management team, and further developing a performance culture among a group of diverse and talented individuals.The Senior Director of Operations must be a leader who inspires others to deliver measurable and cost- effective results. She/He will have the skills, sensitivity, integrity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the Food Forward team brings to our mission and the fight for social justice. * See our core values below.
The Senior Director of Operations is a key member of the Executive Team and reports to the Executive Director. Programmatically, the role works closely with and connects our three distinct program areas: Backyard/Public Space Harvesting, Farmers Market Recovery and the Wholesale Recovery Program. It is essential that the Senior Director of Operations bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, and it is also critical that the team retain the creative spark that drives the Food Forward mission and culture. The Senior Director of Operations works to ensure alignment between the organization’s human capital, vision, mission, and organizational strategies.
● Reporting to the Founder/ED of Food Forward, the Senior Director of Operations will lead all internal day-to-day
operations and will have the following responsibilities:
● Serve as one of two key internal leaders of the organization, managing and leading the organization’s managers
● Provide vision, execute, and evaluate logistics/workflows for Food Forward programs; and identify the
organization‘s overall risk, gaps, and opportunities for improvement in its current form and as it scales.
● Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence: bridge personnel, operations and support an open-door policy
among all staff.
● Oversee the customization of Human Resources initiatives through organizational change, while staying true to
mission, culture, and values of Food Forward.
● Serve as a transformational leader for Food Forward through influence, consensus building, evolutionary change
and resource management.
● Oversee staff responsible for the maintenance of Food Forward facilities (North Hollywood, Ventura and its
Produce Depot), including a growing fleet of 9 commercial vehicles which are responsible for the transportation of
25 million+ pounds of produce to 8 SoCAL counties annually.
● Identify, prioritize and cultivate organizational geographic growth opportunities.
● Negotiate all vendor contracts
● Develop relationships and increase fee-for-service contracts with waste haulers/RecycLA partners.
● Logistics oversight, innovation, compliance and implementation
● Increase key impact measurements, and assess tools for gathering and analyzing organizational-wide metrics.
● Develop curriculum, tools, and trainings that meet cost guidelines.
● Lead staff on strategic and tactical planning initiatives, as needed.
● Develop and maintain safety protocols, policies and implementation for staff and volunteers, including oversight of
● Cultivate the values of Food Forward within the organization.
● Supervise the resolution of day-to-day personnel concerns.
● Instill a human capital development and “coaching” culture within Food Forward
● Upgrade human resources functions, including: training, professional development, wellness programs,
compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation and recruiting.
● Develop curriculum and cross-training tools to strengthen staff.
● Analyze the organization’s current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information
technology and financial systems that support the growth of specific programs and the organization overall.
● Keep Food Forward ahead of information technology (IT) trends in the food recovery and volunteer management
● Supervise all organizational software, hardware and other IT needs as they relate to logistics, programmatic work,
data collection/analysis, data security, volunteer privacy and employee trainings and interface.
Finance & Compliance:
● Oversee compliance with all insurances; and local, state and federal regulations.
● Ensure Food Forward fiduciary responsibilities, budget management, contract compliance, auditing, and financial
reporting are addressed with the Board of Directors, Development Director and Executive Director.
● Budgeting: lead finance staff and senior management team in annual budgeting process, and budget tracking to
● Further develop an accounting system that provides the organization with quick access to financial information,
timely and accurate compliance and enables strategic budgeting, and ease of reporting for annual 990 filings and
● Supervise finance staff regarding the review of monthly and quarterly expenditures and expense reports.
● Oversee all key relationships with financial institutions, insurance carriers, workers comp (including employee
classifications), state and local licenses, etc.
● Lead staff, and coordinate with outside legal counsel as necessary, on the development of organizational
agreements, such as: MOU’s, NDAs, waivers and partner engagement agreement.
● Work with the Board of Directors: present to the Board at quarterly meetings and serve on Board committees, as
● A personal passion around food security/anti-hunger and food waste issues.
● 5-7 years related experience in operations management and/or executive level of expertise in a for-profit or non-
profit organization. As noted, Food Forward is an organization driven by the values of its people, so experience in managing a “values-driven” organization will be highly prioritized.
Additional requirements include:
● Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation;
● Evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom,
experience, collaboration and judgment;
● A demonstrable high level of business acumen, including successful P&L management. The ability to balance the
delivery of programs against the realities of a budget;
● Real-time problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness expertise.
● A history of providing strategic vision and agile ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and
trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
● Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce
and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly.
● Leadership and Organization—exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has
experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, cultivate
entrepreneurship, learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed,
and being comfortable with ambiguity.
● Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react, as necessary, even if
limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and
take unpopular stands, when necessary
● General Management—thorough understanding of finance, cash flow & accounting systems, Information
Technology and Human Resources; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems,
including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis & information systems
● A comprehensive high-level understanding of a wide array of logistic software/IT work flows, plus specific IT
platforms, such as Ruby on Rails, PHP and Wordpress is essential.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Valid California Driver’s License in good standing
● Ability to work some weekends and occasionally travel throughout the SoCAL region
● Solid educational background—undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated, experienced, professional to assume a pivotal senior role in the
evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with an
accomplished and respected track record. Food Forward is prepared to offer a very attractive compensation package,
including a competitive base salary, as well as health, vison and life insurance, SIMPLE IRA, and vacation benefits.
Sample Benefits currently include:
● 100% Medical and Vision
● Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
● 10 days PTO, additional sick days
● Cell phone allowance
● Telecommuting and work flexibility
Food Forward Core Values:
● Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
● Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
● Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a
privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
● Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds and actions. We act at the highest level of
● Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our
work, both internally and externally.
● Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse,
respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
Send a cover letter in the body of the email, including (a) where you discovered this listing, (b) describe which variety of
surplus produce you would be and why, and (c) attach your resume in a PDF version to [email protected]
The subject line should read, Senior Director of Operations –(Your Name). No phone calls please. Please follow these
instructions to ensure that we process your application in an efficient and timely manner.
Food Forward strongly encourages people of color, women, l/g/b/t/q individuals, those with disabilities, and those with
protected class backgrounds to apply.