The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Submissions open on February 28th!
The Events Manager position is a key position to the AIA-Los Angeles Chapter. This individual is responsible for enhancing the Chapter’s visibility in the local community. The Events Manager is responsible for the development of the local marketing strategy and planning successful events that advance the recognition of the Chapter and the Brand. The Events Manager is charged with discovering new opportunities within the community to establish a stronger bond with the Chapter’s target audience and increase local market share.
• Identifies potential event opportunities at the local level and creates campaigns to capitalize on those opportunities
• Coordinates all aspects of event planning processes for all AIA|LA events as assigned, including collaboration with subcontractors, venue identification, menu development, printing and support of the design of materials, budget tracking and communication of the event.
• Collaborates with several departments within the Chapter as well as local community groups
• Attends community functions to network and identify potential opportunities
• Creates summary reports of each event outlining how data gathered from current community events can be used to develop successful future events
• Posts all events on web site – creates sales and registrations form(s) for AIA|LA events. Posts all Chapter’s events on online calendar
• Provides social media support as assigned
• Provides support for office administration.
• Provides liaison with AIA|LA committees as assigned.
• Works with Executive Director, Associate Director and Board of Directors to execute new events and development of strategies based on Chapter needs. Suggests potential events and makes preliminary contacts.
• Develops partnership opportunities with like-minded organizations.
• Assists in managing relations with previous sponsors; researches/approaches potential new sponsors.
• Assists in managing all logistics and arrangements for Design Awards Ceremony and Party to include location selection, contracts, insurance, A/V support, décor, entertainment, catering, event promotion, production of visual program and overall flow of event.
• Assists in overseeing some Chapter communications and management of the production of press releases, newsletter, email blasts, website updates, online calendar, and all graphics/print communications.
• Works with Chapter staff to administer annual plan/objectives/goals. Works with Associate Director in the assignment and overseeing of resources for staff projects, plans and chairs staff meetings.
The Events Manager must exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance, such as:
• Employee has authority to compare and evaluate possible courses of conduct and acting or making a decision after various possibilities have been considered.
• Employee, in conjunction with Executive Director has the authority to make an independent choice, free from immediate direction or supervision, such as:
• Employee has authority to formulate, affect, interpret, or implement management policies or operating practices;
• Employee carries out major assignments in conducting the operations of the Chapter;
• Employee performs work that affects business operations to a substantial degree;
• Employee has authority to commit the Chapter (employer) in matters that have significant financial impact;
• Employee has authority to waive or deviate from established policies and procedures with executive management’s approval.
• Directly performs hands-on work on an on-going basis to train Chapter employees, responds to membership needs, or otherwise role models appropriate behaviors in the Chapter.
• Maintains high ethical standards in the work place.
• Reports all irregular issues and problems to the Executive Director for solutions.
• Complies and maintains confidentiality of all Chapter policies and procedures.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
• Excellent event program management skills; ability to coordinate events
• Exceptional time management skills
• Strong organizational skills; detail-oriented
• Effective written and verbal communication skills; effectively analyzes information, speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
• Contract negotiation skills; persuasive
• Interpersonal skills; works well with Chapter staff, Members, Board of Directors and external partners/sponsors, Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Friendly, out-going disposition.
• Flexibility; responds to changing priorities and competing needs with optimism and win-win solutions
• Networking ability; reaches out to form key relationships and partnerships for the Chapter
• Analytical - Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
• Team player – Works well with others, promotes teamwork and team spirit;
• Presents informational and numerical data effectively;
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes tasks correctly and on time; supports Company’s goals and values.
• Adaptability - Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
• Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
• Judgment -; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Displays willingness to make decisions. Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
• Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
2- or 4-year college degree required; 2- 4 years of related work experience desired but not required. Strong work ethic supported by a pleasant and positive attitude of “can do” success. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Ability to effectively communicate with executive management and Board of Directors in English.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Noise level is moderate to loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and listen. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to focus on computer screen for extended periods of time.
Essential Weight Lifting/Force Exertion Requirements:
Less than 1/3 of time: Up to 100 pounds with a lifting aid
1/3 to 2/3 of time: Up to 50 pounds with a lifting aid
More than 2/3 of time: Up to 10 pounds
The above job description identifies the essential job functions and skills needed by the person or persons assigned to this position. These job functions and skills are not intended to be a complete and exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The information contained herein is subject to change at the Chapter’s discretion.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]