The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Submissions open on February 28th!
SCOPE builds grassroots power in South Los Angeles to eliminate the structural barriers to political and economic inclusion. As a membership-based organization, SCOPE fills a critical niche in the movement for social change—organizing marginalized communities of color and poor and working-class residents to ensure that they have an equal voice in the decision-making process and the necessary pathways to realize opportunities for advancement.
Established in 1993 in response to the 1992 civil unrest in South Los Angeles, SCOPE was founded with the intent to tell and transform the untold story of disinvestment and neglect that preceded the lingering images of violence and destruction in the media. Since its inception, SCOPE has successfully built grassroots power through community organizing, leadership development, and alliance-building to advocate for policies and programs that create employment and training opportunities for marginalized workers, and prioritize low-income communities for public investment.
Job Description Overview: Lead Organizer The role of the Lead Organizer is to: model effective community organizing through new recruitment and building of an active, politically conscious grassroots leadership and base, including supporting member team structure and development; assist in the supervision and coordination of SCOPE’s Organizing Team; provide overall support of voter engagement efforts; assist in the design and implementation of strategic organizing and outreach plans; coordinate special projects and develop tactical campaign tools; and consistently represent the vision of SCOPE in the social, economic, and climate and environmental justice movement.
The Lead Organizer will work closely with the Organizing Director to ensure the Organizing component reaches its goals Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Thorough knowledge, understanding, and application of GRASSROOTS ORGANIZING skills including the ability to plan, lead, implement, and direct others in the following:
2. Staff Supervision and Management including: supervisory responsibility for a team of organizers, evaluating organizer team weekly work, tracking organizer work, assisting other organizers, planning and leading some organizer team meetings
3. Staff Development including: train new organizers on SCOPE organizing model, assist in the planning of skills development for Organizing Team, assist in design and tracking of work plans, and support cross-component collaboration through small group leadership, agenda-setting and facilitation.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
● Understanding of the role of member-based organizing and its distinction from other organizing strategies and forms.
● Commitment to the principles and goals of SCOPE.
● Must have at least 4 years experience as a community/labor organizer.
● Must have experience training, directing, and supervising other staff.
● Must have experience planning and implementing organizing campaigns.
● Must have the ability to handle several areas of responsibility and execute them effectively.
● Must have the ability to motivate people.
● Must be hard-working, self-disciplined, and work well under pressure.
● Must be willing to put in long hours and be able to work evenings and some weekends.
● Must have good written and verbal communication skills
● Must have experience doing issues research and analysis.
● Must have access to a car or reliable transportation.
● Must have the ability to work with a diversity of people, communities, and cultures.
● Bilingual Spanish/English speakers encouraged.
● Willingness to work in a team setting including, participating in development and implementation of effective conflict resolution skills.
Compensation: $46,000 - $49,000 based on qualifications and experience, full benefits (health, dental, vision, 401(k)), excellent vacation, training, and room for advancement. This is a full-time position. People of color, women, and people who identify as LGBTQ are encouraged to apply.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and sample outreach plan to “SCOPE/HR” via email, mail, or fax: [email protected] | 1715 W. Florence Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90047 | fax (323) 789-7939 NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE