The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Submissions open on February 28th!
Grant Writer, Helpline Youth Counseling
Helpline Youth Counseling (HYC) is a nonprofit organization empowering more than 5,000 children, youth and family members annually in Southeast Los Angeles County and Long Beach to build their strengths, skills and success through compassionate counseling, prevention and early intervention, education, and family support. Since 1971, HYC has fulfilled its mission of promoting the development of strong individuals and families in their community through education, therapeutic approaches, advocacy, and the utilization of community resources.
HYC currently has a full-time opening for an experienced Grant Writer to join our fundraising team. This is a 40 hour per week staff position in the HYC headquarters office at Liberty Community Plaza (LCP) in Unincorporated South Whittier and is not a freelance or grant consultant role. LCP is a state-of-the art community center and neighborhood hub featuring a wide range of community-centered classes and events for youth and adults, an on-site park and running/walking track, award-winning, energy-efficient facility design employing green practices, and a welcoming service environment for clients, staff, and visitors.
• Collaborate with agency directors, managers and staff to develop funding proposals, proposal budgets, written support materials for fundraising, and compliance reports and updates to funders regarding program outcomes and use of funds.
• Write funding requests to government funding sources, foundations, businesses and individual donors and prepare all application documents in grant package for submission.
• Conduct and track ongoing prospect research of private and public funding sources.
• Track status of funding applications submitted and to be submitted; maintain ongoing calendar of proposal and grant report deadlines.
• Attend agency activities and keep updated regarding program work and outcomes throughout HYC to inform proposal content.
• Provide monthly report of Grant Writer activities and accomplishments for inclusion in overall monthly Development Department report submitted to Director of Development.
• Other duties as assigned by Director of Development.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications or related field; history of continuing professional development in the field of grant writing.
• Ability to convey the written case for funding for HYC and its strategic priorities, service approach, current and planned programs, and outcomes to funding sources in a clear, compelling, and persuasive manner.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience and success in proposal writing, including funded proposals.
• Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills and ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
• Superior professional level writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
• Strong math skills and ability to effectively collaborate with program and finance staff to develop proposal budgets.
• Ability to analyze community research reports, external community data, and internal program data for use in proposal writing.
• Experience with accurately following funder guidelines and meeting multiple proposal deadlines.
• Ability to achieve Development Department productivity goal for proposal production and help meet annual departmental fundraising goal.
• Efficient internet use, experience with donor research, and knowledge of resources for prospect research and proposal writing.
• Experience with writing support documents used in fundraising, including annual report content, program summaries, fact sheets and other materials.
• With Director of Development, participate in site visits made to HYC by funding organizations and attend proposer conferences on behalf of HYC.
• Strong attention to detail, excellent organization and time management, and ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be comfortable and productive writing in an office where there is standard office background noise.
• Familiarity with electronic donor management system and Microsoft Office applications.
• Ability to pass criminal clearance background check.
• Background in mental health, social services, or youth services desirable.
• Valid driver’s license.
• U.S. citizen or permanent resident status.
• Commitment to the HYC mission.
Please submit cover letter, resume and writing sample to [email protected]. Resumes without a cover letter and writing sample will not be considered for an interview. A brief writing exercise will be part of the interview.
HELPLINE YOUTH COUNSELING, INC. IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ADHERES TO PRACTICES IN ACCORDANCE WITH FEDERAL AND STATE REGULATIONS.