The 2019 My LA2050 Grants Challenge
$1 Million. 10 Winners. One Year to Shape LA.
Submissions open on February 28th!
Salary Range: 57,700.00 to 86,600.00 (USD) Annually
Under the direction of the Communications Manager – Strategic Initiatives, the Digital Content Specialist is responsible for developing and distributing content for First 5 LA’s digital properties including, but not limited to: websites, social media, internal collaboration platforms (such as SharePoint), internal and external communications, and electronic newsletters. The Digital Content Specialist collaborates closely with colleagues across the organization to fulfill a variety of other content development needs and is responsible for achieving measureable results and conducting ongoing analyses to ensure First 5 LA’s continued growth across our digital platforms to advance the organization’s goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Digital Content Specialist should visibly demonstrate the adopted organizational values of collaboration, integrity, respect, accountability, purpose, shared leadership and learning in the execution of their key areas of responsibility:
Key Areas of Responsibility:
▪ Supports Implementation of Communications and Marketing Plans
▪ Content Development and Distribution
▪ Building and Maintaining Cross-Departmental Internal Relationships, External Relationships
▪ Digital Properties Support, Data and Metrics Analysis
▪ Project Management support
Supports Implementation of Communications and Marketing Plans
▪ Assists in the support and implementation of communications and marketing strategies to advance the goals of the outcome areas contained in First 5 LA’s 2015-2020 Strategic Plan including executing promotional strategies across media channels using primarily paid media - advertising and owned - radio, television and print - and emerging digital and social media platforms, as well as First 5 LA’s digital properties, including website and its subdomains, and electronic newsletters.
▪ Collaborates with internal staff and consultants to develop and manage digital content marketing strategies to position First 5 LA as a thought leader and resource among various targeted audiences.
▪ Provides communications and marketing expertise to the entire organization.
▪ Develops work plan (including timeline and cost estimates) and coordinates the planning and execution of projects as assigned by the Communications Manager – Strategic Initiatives.
Content Development and Distribution
Assists in the design and development of digital communications and ensures quality, clarity and consistency
▪ Collaborates with in-house creative team, First 5 LA staff, consultants and contractors (e.g., writers, editors, translators, photographers, videographers, etc.) to develop, design and produce print and digital publications, collateral and advertising materials, and supports the creation of data visualizations and infographics.
▪ Manages the logistics, planning and production of digital content, such as article and blogs for First 5 LA’s digital properties. Coordinates the work of additional design or editorial consultants, ensuring the materials are produced on schedule and on budget.
▪ Ensures digital content is aligned with brand guidelines and upholds values of the organization, informs the public, elevates the conversation on issues affecting children prenatal to age 5 and their families, and advances First 5 LA’s goals and objectives.
▪ Works with staff to maintain a library of collateral materials, including archival materials from First 5 LA, other First 5 Commissions, and reference materials from similar organizations as well as samples from potential vendors.
▪ Analyzes and dissects a wide variety or programmatic and policy topics to produce compelling digital communications deliverables that clearly communicates First 5 LA’s goals and objectives.
▪ Implements, organizes photo shoots and photographs First 5 LA and grantee/partner events, press conferences, and internal events both at the First 5 LA office and offsite locations.
▪ Captures, edits, organizes, and tags high-resolution photographs for First 5 LA use, and maintains, builds, and administers First 5 LA’s stock photo library online with meta-tagging, and organization by event or date.
▪ Collaborates with external vendors on website events, promotions, marketing campaigns, or specific design projects.
Building and Maintaining Cross-Departmental Internal Relationships, External Relationships
▪ Develops and manages effective internal relationships and collaborates with staff across the agency to communicate to decision-makers, media, partners, grantees, Commissioners, staff and stakeholders, and secondarily, the broader public, about the importance of the early years and the impact the organization has on the children and families in L.A. County.
▪ Works with various First 5 LA’s divisions to help create storytelling opportunities related to the agency’s four outcome areas (Families, Communities, Early Care and Education, and Health), as well as policy and advocacy efforts
▪ Supports relationship building and coordination for the Communications Manager – Strategic Initiatives efforts to partner with external outlets’ digital platforms to distribute First 5 LA’s content and helps build a broad base of advocates, supporters and partner organizations aligned with First 5 LA’s mission.
Digital Properties Support, Data and Metrics Analysis
▪ Creates and posts time-sensitive material to First 5 LA’s website, and refreshes websites content to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information and images, and makes recommendations for improvements. Coordinates with Board Relations Specialist for posting of Board materials.
▪ Consults with staff across the agency to develop new content and update existing pages on First 5 LA’s websites, plans website development and communicates with other personnel regarding technical requirements of website and upcoming projects or events related to website.
▪ Works with various department staff to create a system of process to develop and maintain content (i.e. articles, blogs, investment updates, etc.) for First 5 LA’s website.
▪ Point of contact for website-related e-mail questions from users.
▪ Works with Information Technology and other internal divisions to design internal websites running on proprietary intranets.
▪ Collaborates organization-wide to assess organizational needs and ensures department’s needs are met by using focus group data, analytics and other sources to guide the development of First 5 LA’s digital properties.
▪ Analyzes traffic to websites, e-newsletters, and impressions on media in order to make recommendations on any necessary programming/communication changes.
▪ Responsible for tracking digital analytics data measuring the effectiveness of our digital communications outreach, analyzing and reporting on the data and findings, and making recommendations for improving the effectiveness of activities.
Project Management Support
▪ Coordinates the implementation of public awareness, public education and public will-building communications and marketing campaigns.
▪ Tracks and documents project status against timeline. Regularly updates team and key stakeholders on project schedules to accurately indicate current status.
▪ Continually evaluates project components for effectiveness against established measurement criteria and develop alternative solutions as required.
▪ Oversees and manages the Customer Relations Management (CRM) and other contact databases for use in digital content marketing activities.
Organizational Policies Adherence
▪ Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values a diversity of perspectives
▪ Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with State regulations, local ordinances and First 5 LA directives
▪ Keeps apprised of all laws, regulations, statutes, rules and policies affecting First 5 LA and Proposition 10
▪ Supervises contractors and consultants, as needed
▪ Collaborates both internally and with external stakeholders to capture, synthesize and share learning and knowledge outcomes from the ongoing execution of all activities as necessary
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
▪ Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
▪ Possesses Customer-Focused Mindset: Is aware of and considers relevant internal and external stakeholders and their needs (customers); identifies solutions to be responsive to stakeholder needs; considers impact when executing daily tasks
▪ Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams; is able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public officials and the general public
▪ Communicates Effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; demonstrates active listening and comprehension; selects and uses appropriate communication methods to keep others appropriately informed; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
▪ Demonstrates Integrity and Judgment: Follows through on commitments letting others know of his/her true intentions; ensures decision-making or recommendations are fact-based and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
▪ Demonstrates Critical Thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to effectively think through problems and information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches
▪ Demonstrates Strategic Thinking: Considers issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; identifies alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to layout several points of view on a course of action to accomplish goals
Job Specific Competencies
▪ Role Specific Content: Familiarity with current issues regarding children and families of Los Angeles County, including family support, community capacity-building, early care and education, child health and safety, and a broad enough perspective to recognize opportunities to advance organizational outcomes via communications and marketing activities. Understanding of the ethnic, cultural, geographic and socio-economic diversity of the population focused upon by the agency in Los Angeles County. Ability to calibrate messaging for a wide-range of audiences, including parents from ethnically diverse backgrounds, key partners, opinion leaders and elected officials. Knowledge of social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) and their content types, including requirements for visual assets including share graphics, videos, etc. Expertise with Google Analytics and other web reporting systems; and with web-based communications tools and content-management programs; knowledge of HTML and CMS systems preferred; Ability to think creatively and strategically about communicating key messages to various audiences and to iterate and incorporate successive layers of feedback and communication; Ability to work independently and with internal stakeholders and outside vendors to procure and create content (copy, imagery, video) for digital properties, such as webpages, and collateral; Ability to measure effectiveness of digital campaigns with web analytics and drive purposeful action accordingly; Understanding of design, video, social, email processes & programs (Adobe Photoshop/InDesign, Final Cut Pro, Mailchimp, etc.); basic use of programs preferred
▪ Content Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively
▪ Planning and Organization and Project Management: Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives; ability to manage high performance projects
▪ Five (5) years minimum of professional experience in content marketing, web content development, website content management, public education efforts, promotions, understanding of advertising media, and the development, production, and distribution/implementation of promotional activities and collateral materials in support of outreach efforts.
▪ Extensive management and coordination experience.
▪ Experience overseeing consultants and vendors to produce communications products, such as digital and visual content, written content, translations, publications and promotional items.
▪ Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) or equivalent from an accredited college or university in the fields of Communications, Marketing, Public Affairs or a related field; a combination of education and years of experience may be substituted.
▪ Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
▪ Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
▪ Strong Google Analytics, WordPress and Adobe Acrobat/Illustrator skills.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
▪ Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
▪ Valid automobile liability insurance
▪ This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Applicants can apply here.