Organization: Food Forward, Inc - a 501 (c)(3) non-profit
Position: Food Forward Field Coordinator
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Organizational Overview: Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need and inspiring others to do the same. Our produce is recovered mostly in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties but reaches those in need in eight Southern California counties via distribution by hundreds of hunger relief agencies across virtually all social service sectors: homeless outreach, domestic violence shelters, street youth homes, veteran services, LGBT teen/adult/senior services, after-school programs, the mentally disabled, low-income college programs, and many more. With the volunteer-power of over 7,000 registered volunteers and a modest staff, we will help feed over 1.75 million Southern Californians in need this year alone. *See our core values posted below.
Department Overview The Agency Relations Department provides internal and external support for the ongoing development and maintenance of Receiving Agency (RA) relationships. The Department supports Food Forward’s workflows, efficiency, and accountability for the vast amounts of fresh produce recovered by the Backyard Harvest, Farmers Market Recovery, and Wholesale Recovery Programs. Additionally, the Department collaborates with the many agencies partnering with Food Forward to distribute this food across Southern California and beyond. Since 2017, Food Forward has worked alongside partners in South LA, Watts, Inglewood, and Simi Valley to successfully pilot a Produce Pick-Up program to more seamlessly connect a portion of Food Forward’s many millions of pounds of recovered fresh produce to food insecure individuals.
Position Description: Food Forward is hiring a Field Coordinator to take the lead on sustaining and scaling the Produce Pick-Up project which creates direct healthy food access to underserved communities. In addition to supporting the Produce Pick-Ups, the Field Coordinator will interface with our Receiving Agencies and community partners, acting as a key collaborator in the development and growth of the Agency Relations Department as new partnerships in new geographies are added. The ideal candidate is a “roll-up-your-sleeves” type of leader that is passionate about food justice, hunger relief, volunteer management, and dynamic community building. They will work well under pressure, be an on-the-fly problem solver, and be a time management expert. This position reports to the Agency Relations & Field Manager.
● Serve as point of contact between the various Food Forward programs and departments and the Agency Relations Department, overseeing their needs as well as what is needed to make Produce Pick-Ups run smoothly.
● Serve as onsite Food Forward staff lead for existing Produce Pick-Ups involving Food Forward volunteers and additional Produce Pick-Ups to be added in the future.
● Develop and run various orientations and training events as well as oversee volunteer engagement at each Food Forward volunteer-participating Produce Pick-Up.
● Ensure permitting/food safety compliance across our Agency Relations Department and provide support for compliance by Receiving Agencies.
● Collaborate with Volunteer Department to identify and conduct outreach to potential Produce Pick-Up volunteer leaders.
● Coordinate the scheduling of Produce Pick-Up volunteer leaders and fill in at unstaffed events as needed.
● Ensure all equipment and material packing and delivery for each Pick-Up, as well as return, resupply, and restock as necessary.
● Deliver produce, as needed, to Produce Pick-Ups, using Food Forward vehicles.
● Participate in regular planning calls with partners, Volunteer Department, and Wholesale Recovery Program in support of existing and future Produce Pick-Ups.
● Serve as point of contact for Agency Relations Department communication and Memoranda Of Understanding with partner Receiving Agencies.
● Consolidate and maintain metrics for each Produce Pick-Up from Volunteer Department, Wholesale Recovery Program, and partner organizations.
● Assist in the onboarding process (vetting, recordkeeping, site visiting, etc.) for any secondary partner agencies receiving produce from Food Forward.
● Collaborate with development, volunteer, and program teams on the assessment and development of new Agency Relations Department partnerships.
● 1-3 years of social justice, anti-hunger, or food system experience, preferably in a dynamic hands-on environment; Bachelor’s degree a plus but not required.
● Congenial, empathic demeanor and deep cultural sensitivity as it relates to underserved communities of all types.
● Must possess or obtain, within 30 days of hiring, State of California Food Handlers Certificate (online).
● Excellent written and verbal skills in English.
● Strong communication and relationship building skills, with comfort representing Food Forward in an outward facing on the ground role.
● Flexible, team player able to adapt easily to change or spontaneous shifts in workflow.
● Must be extremely proactive and demonstrate high positive energy and leadership skills.
● Have a high degree of comfort working collaboratively.
● Highly proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
● Comfortable working with large databases.
● Valid Class C Driver’s license with no more than 2 points on the MVR and access to reliable transportation.
● Able to comfortably drive a large flatbed truck and utility van.
● Comfortable using a pallet jack, or willingness to learn.
● Able to lift boxes of produce up to 50 lbs, repeatedly. Comfortable standing and moving for several hours at a time.
● Strong working knowledge of Southern California geography.
● Willingness to travel regionally on a regular basis, occasionally working early/late hours and/or weekends.
● Proficiency in speaking Spanish a plus.
Hours: Full Time, non-exempt position
Compensation: $15 - $18 / Hour DOE
● Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage for full-time staff
● Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
● Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
● Cell phone allowance
● Telecommuting and work flexibility
Food Forward Core Values:
• Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
• Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
• Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
• Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
• Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
• Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
Send a cover letter in the body of an email to [email protected] with your resume attached as a PDF. In your cover letter, be sure to include (1) where you discovered this listing and (2) an answer to the following question: if you were a variety of produce, which variety of produce would you be and why?
The subject line of your email should read, Food Forward Field Coordinator – (Your Name). No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to ensure we process your application.