Title: Bridging Communities Program Consultant
Compensation: $35-40 an hour (commensurate with experience); There are no medical, dental, or life insurance benefits, short-term or long-term insurance benefits with this position.
Supervisor: Vigilant Love Co-Chair/Bridging Communities Program Manager Position
Status: Part time (approximately 10 hours/week), project-based (hours vary for program retreats), hourly pay, contracted, non-exempt
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vigilant Love came together after the San Bernardino shooting in December 2015, building upon intentional solidarity-building between Los Angeles-based Muslims and Japanese Americans to resist Islamophobia after 9/11. We are guided by a multi-ethnic, intergenerational, inter-spiritual Steering Committee (SC), as well as our partners from impacted and allied communities. Our SC includes organizers, artists, attorneys, policy advocates, and healers who hold immigrant, LGBTQ, Muslim, Japanese- and Asian-American experiences.
In the face of cyclical violence, we envision the embodiment of vigilant love amongst generations of multi-ethnic and inter-spiritual community who create pathways to liberation and healing together.
Vigilant Love creates spaces for connection and grassroots movement to ensure the safety and justice of communities impacted by Islamophobia and violence in the greater Los Angeles area. Vigilant Love unites artists, organizers & communities to build collective healing & to counter Islamophobia and other forms of violence. Our organizing model combines policy advocacy with meaningful community building, as we believe that our fight for change must also mobilize, heal and empower our communities.
To learn more, visit www.vigilantlove.org.
The Bridging Communities Program Consultant is a new part-time position that will play an essential role in the re-launch of the Bridging Communities Solidarity Arts Fellowship (hereinafter “BC fellowship”). The position runs from November 2018 to July 2019 with the official BC fellowship program taking place from January 2019 - June 2018.
The BC Fellowship is a partnership program, which aims to empower college students from diverse communities of color with frameworks to critically explore themes of identity, community history, solidarity, healing and creative organizing. Participants will gain tools to critically understand their world, challenge injustice, and creatively build legacies of solidarity and resistance in their communities. The Program will consist of day-long educational retreats and field trips that represent important socio-cultural sites of power, oppression, healing and liberation.
The Bridging Communities Program Consultant must be available to participate in a majority of the following dates:
- November 13, 2018 - November 27, 2018 - December 11, 2018 - January 12-13, 2019 - February 2, 2019 - April 27, 2019 - May 16, 2019
Additional conference calls, meetings and retreats will be collaboratively scheduled between the BC Program Manager and the BC Program Consultant.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work closely with the Bridging Communities Program Manager, Vigilant Love team and community partners to envision, develop, organize and execute intersectional community education in the BC fellowship that advances Vigilant Love’s vision and mission.
- Conduct program participant outreach through networks, email listserv, social media, and other creative forms of community outreach.
- Invest in relationship building with the cohort of BC fellows by building rapport, coordinating check-ins, and supporting with any logistics that enable optimum participant attendance/engagement.
- Present and co-facilitate workshops for the BC fellowship.
- Work with the BC Fellowship Program Manager to ensure that the program’s grant funding requirements are met through the program activities, as well as assist in the necessary grant reporting.
- Work closely with the BC Fellowship Program Manager, Vigilant Love team and community partners to envision, organize logistics and host the annual Bridging Communities Iftar in May 2019.
- Work closely with the BC Fellowship Program Manager, Vigilant Love team and community partners to envision, organize logistics and host the Manzanar Pilgrimage in May 2019.
- Coordinate with BC Fellowship Program Manager and Vigilant Love team for content creation of VL social media platforms.
- Assist in other project work as needed.
- The Bridging Communities Program Consultant will work remotely from home or their site of choice, as well as community spaces for meetings in the greater Los Angeles area. The Program Consultant is expected to access a phone, laptop and WiFi in order to complete tasks. The Program Consultant is expected to attend all field trips and retreats, which take place throughout the greater Los Angeles area and historical sites, like Manzanar.
Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, race, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Dedication to Vigilant Love’s vision and mission with a demonstrated commitment and critical analysis in advancing social justice and healing. - Relevant experience.
- Strong leadership skills that include an ability to collaborate with others and practice close listening, self-awareness, creative and innovative thinking, humility, accountability, mindful communication, clear ethics, and an ability to motivate others to take ownership.
- Strong administrative and detail-oriented project management practices/skill sets, with track record of meeting deadlines.
- Ability to communicate clearly and collaboratively with diverse groups and leaders to build consensus around clear objectives and work plans, and to enhance the objectives of the BC fellowship, and VL vision and mission.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, trans people, and gender nonconforming individuals to apply. We are especially interested in hearing from you if you have experience working in/with Muslim American communities.
We have a quick turn-around, so send in a cover letter & resume to [email protected] with “Bridging Communities Program Consultant” in the subject line by Monday, October 22nd, 2018!