The position of Operations Associate at the Durfee Foundation is ideally suited to an individual who wishes to gain practical experience in the nonprofit sector or philanthropy as part of a platform for a career in public service and social change. The job will provide the candidate a intensive practice of nonprofit management – from clerical and bookkeeping functions, to contracting, office and website management, investment coordination and occasional events support – as well as bird’s-eye view of the social change sector in Los Angeles, with exposure to an extraordinary, cross-sector range of leaders.
The Durfee Foundation is a private family foundation that supports individuals and organizations in Los Angeles County, with a special emphasis on community development and nonprofit leadership. The Foundation has assets of approximately $30 million, and makes more than $2 million in grants annually.
The position of Operations Associate reports to the Executive Director, and works day-to-day with the Program Manager. The ideal candidate for this job should be technologically proficient, detail-oriented, self-motivated and collaborative. The position is part-time, four days/32 hours per week, allowing the candidate to pursue other career development activities on the off-day. The job comes with excellent benefits.
The Durfee Foundation maintains a small office. We value collegiality, cooperation and flexibility. The Foundation is currently located in Santa Monica, but will move to downtown Los Angeles in December 2018.
• Bookkeeping, including monitoring account balances, cash-flow projection, and accounts payable, under supervision of accountant
• Under direction from an independently contracted CPA, prepare documents for financial audits
• Implement occasional stock sales, and manage relationships with investment advisors
• Reconcile monthly financial statements
• Manage contract agreements
• Reimbursement processing
• Office management/general administrative support, including records management and storage
• Maintain computer systems, including email, network, website, database and back-up systems
• Take minutes at board, committee and grantee meetings and retreats
• Occasional back-up for events production as needed, in collaboration with Program Manager
• Expert in QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong knowledge of Mac OSX, Dropbox, Google Drive and WordPress
• Proficient with budgets and financial management processes
• Good written and oral communications
• High-level administrative capacity
• Database management
• Attention to detail, initiative and follow-through
• Capacity to prioritize work and manage multiple projects
• Exercise initiative and good judgment
• College or advanced degree and/or comparable work experience
• General knowledge of/interest in the nonprofit sector
• Graphic design skills a plus
Salary & Benefits:
• $28,000 - $37,000 depending on experience (based on 3-4 days/week; pro-rated against $42,500 - $46,250 FTE)
• Medical, dental and vision insurance
• 403b retirement fund, with employee match after one year
• Two weeks vacation
Due: September 24, 2018
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: [email protected]
Address cover letter to: Claire Peeps, Executive Director
In your cover letter, please address the following questions:
Start Date: September/October, 2018
Please, no phone calls.