About Civic Nation
Civic Nation is a non-profit organization that uses organizing, engagement and public awareness to address some of our nation’s most pressing challenges. We work with public and private partners to build tools and campaigns that turn great ideas into action.
Civic Nation houses a growing number of large-scale public awareness and organizing initiatives. Current initiatives include: It’s On Us, The United State of Women, College Promise Campaign, Reach Higher, Better Make Room, Up Next, Undivided, All In Campus Democracy Challenge, and #VoteTogether.
#VoteTogether is a national initiative that is bringing the fun back to voting. We collaborate with local nonprofits to organize community celebrations near polling locations during early vote and on Election Day as a way to engage community members and increase voter participation. At #VoteTogether, we’re making participation a celebration!
We are partnered with pioneering researcher and Columbia University political science professor, Donald P. Green, who has analyzed our 2016 effort and found a 4% improvement on participation when communities come together to create simple, fun, events on Election Day or early vote days.
#VoteTogether is looking for an intern to join our team. This role would work closely with the Deputy Director for States and Deputy Director of Program and Operations to support the organization and operations. The #VoteTogether intern will be a critical addition to our team and will be responsible for managing and tracking communications with our partners, as well as supporting the community of leaders changing the culture of voting. Our intern will assist in tracking, updating, and maintaining databases and calendars of our local partners.
This position would be based in Downtown LA, for 15-20 hours per week, and a stipend is provided. Class credit is also available upon request.
Responsibilities will include:
● Helping to manage the #VoteTogether community of event hosts, including responding to inquiries, maintaining databases, and corresponding with event hosts
● Supporting the program to manage the hosts, including assisting with calls and briefings; sending reminders and updating calendars;
● Assisting with general data and CRM maintenance, across platforms including Mailchimp, Google Drive, Zoho, Slack, Dochub, and Asana
● Supporting Deputy Directors in their administrative needs and additional tasks, as needed
The ideal candidate will be passionate about transforming culture around voting, be well-organized and detail-oriented, and have a fun, open personality.
● Strong writing and communication skills
● Understanding and appreciation of civic participation efforts
● Ability to manage many moving parts and multitask effectively
● Proactive team player who can move projects forward
● Solid understanding of and interest in current events
● Ability to work in a startup, fast-paced environment
● Strong process and logistical skills. The ideal candidate has experience with spreadsheets, reporting documents, schedules, and communications systems that can streamline and simplify our work so that our partners can focus on the fun parts.
Applicants should have:
● A strong belief in and understanding of the importance of non-partisan voting efforts. For this campaign to be successful, it must remain a strictly non-partisan effort with no place or role for partisan politics of any kind.
● An enthusiasm for organization; it’s important for our candidates to understand the importance of effective operations.
● A fun and positive attitude! This project is about joy, simple pleasures, and togetherness, so we’re looking for someone who reflects that in their personality.
● We strive that all our staff and local partners have excellent and fun experiences (including you!). The right candidate for this role will be able to drive hard towards our big goals in a way that is inspiring, fun, and makes state leads and local partners want to get and stay involved.
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line: #VoteTogether Intern.