About Civic Nation
Civic Nation is a non-profit organization that uses organizing, engagement and public awareness to address some of our nation’s most pressing challenges. We work with public and private partners to build tools and campaigns that turn great ideas into action.
Civic Nation houses a growing number of large-scale public awareness and organizing initiatives. Current initiatives include: It’s On Us, The United State of Women, College Promise Campaign, Reach Higher, Better Make Room, Up Next, Undivided, All In Campus Democracy Challenge, and #VoteTogether.
#VoteTogether is a national initiative that is bringing the fun back to voting. We collaborate with local nonprofits to organize community celebrations near polling locations during early vote and on Election Day as a way to engage community members and increase voter participation. At #VoteTogether, we’re making participation a celebration!
We are partnered with pioneering researcher and Columbia University political science professor, Donald P. Green, who has analyzed our 2016 effort and found a four percentage point improvement on participation when communities come together to create simple, fun, events on Election Day or early vote days.
The Community Organizer would work closely with the #VoteTogether team to support individuals and organizations changing the culture of voting through parties at polling places, at home, or at work. This is a short term position that will last through November 30, 2018.
Specifically our Community Organizer would:
● Be part of a team to help build a large, grassroots movement to make voting more celebratory, fun, and participatory
● Recruit, train, and manage hosts for voting celebrations
● Help build community among the event hosts using social media platforms like Facebook Groups
● Provide clear guidance and serve as point of contact in the event of questions
● Prepare instructional materials and provide support/trainings, including webinars and conference calls
● Maintain a database of event hosts and organize communications in a way that provides transparency into the process for our team
● Other duties as assigned by the team
Applicants should have:
A strong belief in and understanding of the importance of non-partisan voting efforts. For this campaign to be successful, it must remain a strictly non-partisan effort with no place or role for partisan politics of any kind.
● Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to successfully relate to members of the public from a wide range of backgrounds
● Experience with CRMs or other contact management databases. Competency in using technology and social media
● Experience with spreadsheets, reporting documents, schedules, and communications systems that can streamline and simplify our work so that our partners can focus on the fun parts.
● Ability to work independently and in team settings, agility to navigate a fast-moving and complex initiative, exceptionally well-organized, and ability to meet strict deadlines
● Prior community organizing experience preferred but not necessary
● A fun and positive attitude! This project is about joy, simple pleasures, and togetherness, so we’re looking for someone who reflects that in their personality.
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line: #VoteTogether Community Organizer.