Under the direction of the Department Director the administrative assistant for the department performs high level administrative tasks to support the Department Director and the Department. S/he coordinates with the administrative support for their respective Division.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Administrative Assistant should visibly demonstrate the adopted organizational values of collaboration, integrity, respect, accountability, purpose, shared leadership and learning in the execution of their key areas of responsibility:
Key Areas of Responsibility:
▪ Administrative support
▪ Scheduling and calendar support
▪ Meeting coordination
▪ Department event planning and coordination
▪ Data entry and document management
▪ Travel planning and coordination
▪ Supports Department and Department Director with photocopying support; manages photocopier codes as necessary
▪ Coordinates with Contracts Administration & Purchasing for central purchasing of office supplies
▪ Coordinates equipment maintenance and repairs with the Administration Division and Facilities, per process
▪ Receives and screens incoming calls and visitors; determines priority and alerts director accordingly
▪ Collects and verifies use of Department credit card, including supporting documentation
▪ Formats a variety of documents, reports, memos, charts, slide presentations, and graphs consistent with the organization’s style guide
▪ Ability to exercise discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information or situations
Scheduling and Calendar support
▪ Coordinates department director’s schedule; confirms appointments and meetings as directed
▪ Manages Department vacation and holiday calendar
▪ Schedules cross departmental meetings; shares required agendas and supporting materials as directed
▪ Maintains department meeting calendar; maintains necessary information on SharePoint as needed
▪ Coordinates external meeting with partners
▪ Orders catering for meetings
Travel planning & coordination
▪ Coordinates Director travel, including but not limited to conference registration, travel authorizations, per diem requests and lodging arrangements
▪ Coordinates community member conference registration and travel requirements, including but not limited to travel authorizations, per diem requests and lodging arrangements
Department event planning and coordination
▪ Coordinates department celebrations
Data entry and document management
▪ Supports data and document management, including filing, scanning and storing digital versions of documents in relevant enterprise content management systems including but not limited to SharePoint
▪ Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values a diversity of perspectives
▪ Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with State regulations, local ordinances and First 5 LA directives
▪ Keeps apprised of all laws, regulations, statutes, rules and policies affecting First 5 LA and Proposition 10
▪ Collaborates both internally and with external stakeholders to capture, synthesize and share learning and knowledge outcomes from the ongoing execution of all activities as necessary
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
▪ Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
▪ Possesses Customer-Focused Mindset: Is aware of and considers relevant internal & external stakeholders and their needs (customers); identifies solutions to be responsive to stakeholder needs; considers impact when executing daily tasks
▪ Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams; is able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public officials and the general public
▪ Communicates Effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; demonstrates active listening and comprehension; selects and uses appropriate communication methods to keep others appropriately informed; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
▪ Demonstrates Integrity and Judgment: Follows through on commitments letting others know of his/her true intentions; ensures decision-making or recommendations are fact-based and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
▪ Demonstrates Critical Thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to effectively think through problems and information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches
▪ Demonstrates Strategic Thinking: Considers issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; identifies alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to layout several points of view on a course of action to accomplish goals
Job Specific Competencies
▪ Role Specific Content: Diplomacy skills to deal effectively and professionally with issues that arise with external and internal stakeholders; demonstrated ability to pay close attention to details with excellent accuracy and completeness; ability to maintain the confidential nature of all employees and company proprietary and privileged information used or observed in the course of performing job duties
▪ Content Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively
▪ Planning and Organization and Project Management: Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives; ability to manage high performance projects
▪ Minimum of three years of experience in administrative support preferred
▪ Associate’s degree or equivalent from an accredited two-year college or technical school in the fields of business administration or a related academic field preferred
▪ Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
▪ Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
▪ Familiarity with MS SharePoint a plus
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
▪ Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
▪ Valid automobile liability insurance
▪ This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If you are interested in pursuing a professional opportunity with First 5 LA, visit our website and click on the Administrative Assistant position. You will be redirected to another website that will give the full job description for the position as well as an electronic application form to complete. Please use Internet Explorer as your web browser to complete the application to avoid compatibility errors. If you are unable to complete an electronic application, please contact 213.482.5902 and ask for the Department of Human Resources for assistance in submitting your application.
Please note that the formatting of your uploaded resume may cause the document to appear altered on your monitor. Please be assured that this will not affect the viewing of the document on our end.
We will only accept applications for the positions listed above. Many times our posting notices are reposted to other sites and the information on those sites may not be up to date.
Due to the high volume of responses we receive for our postings we are regrettably unable to provide status updates and verifications in addition to the electronic verification that your application was received.