Organizational Overview: Food Forward’s mission is to fight hunger and prevent food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are rescued from backyard fruit trees, orchards, farmers markets, and the downtown Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market. In the last 9 years, Food Forward’s programs have rescued over 50 million pounds (more than 200 million servings) of fresh produce, preventing nearly 19,000 metric tons of carbon equivalent from polluting the atmosphere. With a small staff, hundreds of community partners, and the power of 7,000+ volunteers, we will help over 1.75 million Southern Californians experiencing food insecurity this year. *See our core values posted below.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Outreach & Communications Coordinator will directly report to the Outreach & Communications Director and will be working closely with and within our Volunteer Outreach team. S/he must be passionate about Food Forward’s work across Southern California and enthusiastic to share it with our large network of volunteers and supporters. The individual is a people-person who is skilled in mass outreach methods, such as social media, email, and website content. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in hunger, food justice, and environmental issues. We are looking for an extremely detail-oriented, creative, and proactive person who enjoys communicating with people and engaging them in our mission. They should be comfortable with speaking in public and on the phone, have excellent writing skills, and be able to work with various personalities and temperaments. Lastly, they should be interested in learning more about working in the non-profit, community organizing, or communications fields. This position provides an opportunity to become deeply involved with a diverse group of people in the urban food justice community, while working with a prominent and growing nonprofit.
● Write and create content for Food Forward’s social media platforms and blog
● Engage with followers across all social media platforms
● Draft bi-weekly e-newsletter, in addition to fundraising campaign and special events eblasts
● Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to support continued engagement of volunteers
● Engage local groups to participate in volunteer events
● Coordinate Food Forward’s group of outreach volunteers, Community Ambassadors
● Research and manage logistics of outreach events and opportunities
● Attend presentations and outreach events as needed
● Update and maintain Food Forward press list and media archive
● Maintain and update Food Forward’s Flickr photo archive
● Update statistics and information across Food Forward’s website
● Manage social media and media email accounts for the organization
● Represent Food Forward at food recovery events in the field as needed
● Help to maintain and update Food Forward’s volunteer management software & database
● 1 year experience in a fast-paced environment -- non-profit or start-up desired, and/or Bachelor’s degree in communications, urban studies, food studies, social services or related field
● Strong people, communication, writing, and public speaking skills
● Extremely organized with excellent attention to detail
● A passion for food justice and community building
● Experience with social media platforms, specifically Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
● Experience using Excel, Google Sheets, and Google Docs
● Ability to communicate with diverse communities across Southern California
● A supportive co-worker who can work individually or collaboratively
● A valid CA driver's license
● Willingness to work on weekends or after hours
● Able to lift 40-60 lbs
● Desired: experience with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
● Desired: experience in shooting and editing video and photos
● Desired: experience managing social media for a company, brand, or non-profit
Hours: Full Time, non-exempt position
Compensation: $15-$18 an hour, d.o.e.
● 100% Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
● Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
● Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
● Cell phone allowance
● Telecommuting and Work flexibility
Start Date: September 4
*Food Forward Core Values:
● Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
● Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
● Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
● Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
● Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
● Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
How to Apply: Send a cover letter in the body of the email including: 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why? Please attach your resume as a PDF and send to [email protected]
The subject line should read, Outreach & Communications Coordinator. – (Your Name). No phone calls please. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward strongly encourages people of color, women, l/g/b/t/q individuals, those with disabilities, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply.