Program Support Specialist
- 27 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Young Storytellers equips young people to be the driving force of their own narratives. We’re passionate about bringing people together and creating stories to raise the voices of those who don’t often get heard.
We believe that when a young person understands the power of their own story—made of their unique background, culture, race, gender, sexuality, immigration status, geographic location, and economic status—it creates a more empathetic and equitable future for everyone. We raise voices, one story at a time.
Young Storytellers works with students in elementary, middle, and high school. In elementary school, students write scripts that are completely their own; in middle school, students write stories about challenges that they face; and in high school, students explore how various communities are portrayed in the media and craft stories that they feel represent their self-identified communities. Students in each program work with volunteer mentors, and every student gets to see their work performed by professional actors. Young Storytellers programs are designed around Common Core standards, integrate Social and Emotional Learning activities, and include components of Learning for Justice’s Social Justice Standards.
About this job
The Program Support Specialist is an integral member of the Young Storytellers Programs Team, working closely with the Program Director. The Program Support Specialist works closely with Programs and Volunteers Team members with the primary responsibility of scheduling and coordinating elementary school programs. The Program Support Specialist also oversees the collection of student and family paperwork, ensures the integrity of the programs side of the YS database and Volunteer Portal, and partners with the Volunteer Team so that they can be successful at recruiting volunteer mentors and actors. Through all parts of their work, the Program Support Specialist ensures that Young Storytellers’ programs run smoothly and equitably. The Program Support Specialist has a keen eye for detail, is a supportive and collaborative team player, and ultimately is passionate about Young Storytellers successfully carrying out our mission of raising student voices.
Roles & responsibilities
- Coordinates program schedules with YS partner schools throughout the school year, focusing on elementary school programs;
- Collects and tracks student, school, and family paperwork, including student permission slips and writer selection forms;
- Ensures that student and school information is regularly and accurately updated in the YS database;
- Collaborates with the Volunteer Recruitment Specialist to ensure program schedules are accurate for volunteer recruiting purposes;
- Supports communications and building community with students, families, and schools, as helpful and in tandem with the Program & Schools Director;
- Supports Volunteer Team by providing up to date program schedules through the Volunteer Portal;
- Coordinates reception of program materials for Head Mentors;
- Assists in the creation, execution, and review of school liaison, teacher, and family surveys, and implements changes based on feedback received;
- Implements YS’s DEIB and antiracism practices in all parts of program operations and school community work;
- Participates in events such as Head Mentor Training, school visits, some evening and weekend events.
● Experience working with schools, families, or student-based communities;
● Excellent organizational and tracking skills;
● Thorough and clear communication skills, both verbal and written;
● A keen eye for detail;
● Thrives while working collaboratively and with a team;
● Resilience with changing program logistics;
● A desire to see YS programs and mission carried out in an equitable way.
● Experience coordinating or communicating with large school districts and the schools within them;
● Experience working with a team to implement education or arts-based programming;
● Experience working with volunteers or within volunteer-based programming;
● Verbal and written fluency in Spanish;
● Experience with Google Suite and Asana;
● Experience with a database and tracking important details through spreadsheets.
Anticipated start date is July 17, 2023 and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please visit the link below to fill out an application and upload the following in PDF form:
● Resume / CV;
● A brief statement or cover letter that includes why you are interested in working with Young Storytellers; and
● An example of how you’ve used a tracking system to coordinate with schools or within a comparable program, and a thorough description of how you used that system successfully (such as Google Sheets, Excel, a company database system, etc.; note that your response does not need to be lengthy to be effective).