Community Forestry Associate (South Los Angeles)
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Beverly Hills
- Closing date
About this organization
TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that mobilizes individuals, families, communities, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by providing education on the benefits of planting trees, capturing rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. TreePeople unites with communities to grow a greener, shadier and more water-secure region at homes, neighborhoods, schools and in the local mountains.
About this job
TreePeople is seeking individuals interested in community forestry to join our team as a Community Forestry Associate. The Community Forestry program engages, inspires, and supports residents to take environmental action in their communities. This position will conduct various aspects of the project such as tree planting, tree maintenance, volunteer coordination, community engagement, and data collection within the South Los Angeles region and surrounding communities.
Roles & responsibilities
- Support the organization of community tree planting and tree care events with local volunteers.
- Plant and maintain 15-gallon street trees.
- Assist with community workshops and volunteer led events, attend site visits, and help manage and maintain TreePeople tool inventory and trucks.
- Drive a truck to transport trees and water trees on a regular basis.
- Support the participation of volunteers in urban tree planting and care events.
- Utilize and maintain tree data through TreePeople’s web-based inventory.
- Gather, monitor and track data of tree plantings through GPS and site maps to comply with funding reporting and to ensure successful implementation of tree maintenance plans.
- Participate and represent TreePeople at meetings and community events as needed.
- Maintain communication with community volunteers to carry out necessary tree maintenance until the community is self-sustaining in the stewardship of their trees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong leadership, team-building, and problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized, strong work ethic, friendly, smart, proactive and a quick learner.
- Interested in local climate resilience and environmental issues impacting communities throughout Southern California.
- Spanish fluency is preferred.
- Valid CA Driver’s license and clean driving record desired to perform job-related essential functions.
- Available to work a flexible schedule that will include weekends.
- Current residency in South Los Angeles preferred.
- Work demands physical energy, twisting, safe heavy lifting ability, and hand-to-eye coordination.
- Uses machines, equipment, and work tools including but not limited to shovels, breaker bars, rakes, brooms, general hand tools, lift gates, water tanks, blowers, augers.
- Must be able to carry and walk with 50 pounds for at least 50 feet.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds overhead.
- Must be able to load and unload 15-gallon trees from a stakebed truck.
- Must be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day.
- Must be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather while completing work assignments, i.e., rain, heat, sun, cold.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
To apply fill out the application found in the direct link.