Chief Financial Officer
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles, California
- Closing date
About this organization
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Since 1908, Vista Del Mar (VDM) has provided a trauma-responsive continuum of services to empower children, youth, and families in Southern California to lead fulfilling lives. VDM envisions a community where all children and families are equipped and prepared to live productive, fulfilling lives. VDM takes great pride in providing exceptional programs and services to the most vulnerable, many of whom have faced multi-generational inequities.
Vista Del Mar believes in the equality of BIPOC. We recognize the struggles of injustice and inequity and stand in the breach to fight them. We will continue to strongly advocate to change racist systems that oppress members of our community. We will work collaboratively to expand programs and curricula that address social injustice while providing our community the tools to contribute to the ongoing movement towards equity and inclusion for all in our society.
Our actions will be louder than our words as we are guided by the following core values of empowerment, equity, and excellence:
1. We consider the youth and families we work with to be equal partners in pursuing improved wellbeing and individual, family, and community equity and empowerment.
2. We provide services and facilitate opportunities without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender expression, sexual orientation, religious preferences, or physical ability. Vista Del Mar actively advances equal opportunity, equitable access, mutual respect, collaboration, and teamwork.
3. We are committed to excellence in all aspects of our work. Our goal is to deliver innovative, best-in-class services and build a sustainable organization that consistently improves wellbeing among our clients, their families, and their respective communities.
About this job
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the CEO and overseeing a budget of $50M, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) provides executive-level leadership and planning to ensure the financial and operational success of Vista Del Mar’s strategic goals. The CFO also leads process improvement initiatives to ensure accurate reporting, maximizes revenues within each contract, and ensures optimal utilization of resources.
The CFO directs VDM’s financial and risk management, including overall financial functions, systems, and reporting, budgeting, audit, internal controls, and regulatory compliance, cash management and investments, financial and strategic planning, credit financing capital needs, debt structure and service, and contracts management. The CFO also staffs the finance and audit committees and the investment subcommittee of the Board of Trustees.
Leading a staff of 5, the ideal candidate has a mission-driven approach and will ensure that Vista Del Mar can identify issues and problems quickly, and plan effectively to improve overall productivity and efficiency.
Roles & responsibilities
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Participates as a member of the executive team to provide a united, visible, and strong presence across the organization, while leading the agency-wide financial planning process.
Promotes organizational culture and values, supporting a positive work experience for all employees.
Works continuously to improve organizational processes with emphasis on internal controls and accurate, timely financial information and analysis.
Evaluates the finance department structure and team; plans for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth opportunities.
Provides executive-level leadership and planning to ensure the financial and operational success of the organization’s strategic goals.
Directs the development and utilization of activity-based financial analysis to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
Leads the development of key metric indicators and dashboards to highlight the financial status of program earnings.
Evaluates the organization’s fiscal compliance function and recommends and implements changes designed to address any gaps between requirements and actual outcomes, including process optimization.
Engages the committees of the Board of Trustees as needed to develop short-, medium-, and long- term financial plans and projections, including audit review and investment.
Finance & Accounting
Directs the financial resources of the agency, including accounting, finance, and treasury in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, contract requirements and internal policies and procedures.
Ensures timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and the Board of Trustees.
Oversees the preparation and communication of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, coordinate audits and timely filing of tax returns.
Analyzes and improves the budgeting process by clarifying workflow and mandating the active engagement of departments in financial responsibility.
Prepares and interprets statistical and accounting information to assess operations and all programs against budget, cash flow projections, long-term sustainability, and the overall effectiveness of the organization.
Responsible for the agency’s state and federal tax reporting, including annual IRS Report 990.
Maintains patient privacy, including protecting the confidentiality, safeguarding the integrity and availability, and limiting the use and disclosure of patient Protected Health Information (PHI) to authorized individuals and entities.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, business administration, or related field.
- Minimum of ten (10) years experience in financial management role with progressive complexity and degrees of responsibility, preferable in nonprofit organizations managing all financial operations.
- Strong experience in contract management, specifically Department of Mental Health (DMH) and ensuring the financial success of those contracts.
- Strong ability to provide strategic solutions at the highest level of the organization.
- Proven experience in improving internal processes and procedures.
- Sensitivity to service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to participate in seminars, educational opportunities, networking events and memberships in the field, especially CalAim.
- Strong belief in VDM’s mission and core values.
- California Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred, but not required.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Vista Del Mar provides competitive compensation and has a commitment to equity in their compensation philosophy and practices. Benefits include a variety of healthcare insurance benefits with medical, dental, and vision, plus paid vacation, employer paid life insurance, holidays, and a 403(b)-retirement plan with matching (after one year of service.) VDM also offers flexible spending accounts for medical and childcare costs as well as professional development, training, and tuition reimbursement. Position is required to travel several times per month.
Vista Del Mar is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse candidate pool. All applicants will be considered for employment including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirement of applicable federal, state, and local laws. All applicants will also be considered without attention to race or ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.
Envision Consulting was retained by this organization in their search for a Chief Financial Officer.
Apply to site directly