Director, Communications & Content
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
United Way of Greater Los Angeles (UWGLA) is home to the change makers and justice seekers. We're individuals from various walks of life making collective steps towards a better future for our community. Our focus is on bringing about real and sustainable change by unleashing the collective power of people to open minds, unite diverse communities, and convert compassion into action for a more just, inclusive, and thriving L.A. County. Together, we make tangible impact on some of our toughest community issues including poverty, homelessness, education equity, and economic mobility. For us, being 'united' isn't just in reference to our organization but to our hope for the future of Los Angeles. Regardless of race, gender, orientation, or self-identification - we do our part as one by making room for all.
About this job
Our Engagement & Activation department advances United Way's mission by driving awareness, action, and advocacy through real-life storytelling and impactful events. We bring the organization’s vision for community change to life by creating engaging content that grabs the attention of our partners, donors, neighbors, and challengers alike. We mobilize coalitions into unified campaigns and make use of all platforms to engage in real-time policy and civic conversations across LA County. We're rooted in facts, creative in design, and strategic in our approach to create noise for issues that have been silenced for far too long.
WHY WE NEED YOU
We are inviting strategic and solutions-oriented communicators with a passion for innovative content that breaks the mold and drives audiences to action—whether that is giving time or money!—to apply for our Director, Communications & Content role.
You will contribute to bringing our organizational voice and vision to life by successfully owning core communications and content strategies and leading a team of creative content producers.
You will have the unique opportunity to be a strategic thought leader by synthesizing the organization’s community impact work and vision for change into dynamic public facing campaigns and content.
Roles & responsibilities
- Communications & Content Strategy
- Develop and implement all organizational communications and content strategies to ensure that the organization is communicating its vision for change with dynamic and compelling strategies and tactics.
- Provide a critical voice within the organization to drive insights and opportunities across a broad base of institutional relationships and stakeholders.
- Play a leading role in visioning content creation for policy campaigns, donor engagement, partnerships, and major events—and then ensuring that the execution of that vision is high quality and effective.
- Collaborate with the Director, Marketing & Engagement to deeply understand key donor segments and channels (workplace, high-net worth donors, corporate/institutional foundations) and how to best connect across various channels
- Communications & Content Planning
- Develop and oversee communications and content planning for all organizational initiatives, audiences and channels with a focus on ensuring United Way is part of the policy and civic dialogue on a range of topics including economic mobility, education, homelessness, housing affordability and racial justice.
- Balance short-term and long-term priorities, strategies, and tactics to maximize the organization’s impact and effectiveness while flexibly responding to the conditions in the communities where we are working to drive change.
- Content Creation
- Guide the Communications & Content team, as well as outside consultants, in the development of digital, written, and designed content for all organizational initiatives, audiences, and communications channels including:
- Digital Content, including social media and web-based content for tactics such as: video, social media (organic and paid), events
- Written Content, including digital and print content for tactics such as: direct mail marketing, newsletters, impact reports
- Designed Content, including web-based and print, for tactics such as: print advertising, out of home marketing, donor recognition
- Utilize a broad mix of content strategies and tactics to engage with both existing supporters and new targets, and ensure consistency and thoughtfulness when leveraging each of these tactics across all initiatives and projects.
- Earned Media
- Further UWGLA’s long history of driving its work forward through earned media strategies and tactics.
- Cultivate relationships with reporters, media influencers and others to maximize earned media opportunities for team members and the organization, consistent with core communications strategies and tactics.
- Identify and secure opportunities for team members who are experts in their issue areas and therefore well positioned to engage with local, regional, and national media outlets both on and off the record.
- Internal Communications
- Serve as a key strategic partner with executive and human resources leadership to develop internal communications that ensure team members across all departments and our robust Board of Directors feel effectively connected and informed.
- Team Management & Development
- Mentor and coach a diverse team of in-house communicators and creators to grow skillsets, support individual professional development goals, and inspire team members to both lead and follow.
- Provide direct but respectful constructive feedback in real-time and during formal review periods to elevate team performance, maintain accountability, and reach goals.
WHAT 1 YEAR OF SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- Building out the new communications and content team, including hiring multiple team members.
- Co-creation of a brand architecture for the organization and its core campaigns as well as core narrative framework.
- Designing the communications and content strategies for the organization’s Centennial Year campaign.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 7 years of related experience in strategic communications, brand and audience strategy, advertising, promotions, or marketing is required
- Minimum 3 years of experience supervising and developing direct reports
- Understands the value of racial equity as an organizational operating principle and commitment to continued learning on issues related to race, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
HOW TO KNOW IF YOU’RE A FIT
- You are a strategic planner who can successfully transform thoughts to action and goals to success with a well-crafted play-by-play strategy.
- You know how to talk the talk by communicating clearly, concisely, and persuasively to small and large groups alike.
- You understand that audience is everything, and you’re comfortable crafting strategies that are anchored in that premise
- You always know just what to say and can lead a team that develops scripts, narratives, and talking points that give others award-winning confidence in delivering a message.
- Your written communications are concise and clear when it comes to ensuring messaging is compelling, accurate and tailored to the audience.
- You feel that copyediting is a labor of love - from making sure the text resonates to checking that all I's are dotted, T's are crossed and commas are where they belong - you know exactly what to look for.
- You enjoy well- designed content that makes a good first impression and can lead a process that translates complex information into a visually engaging and aesthetically appealing masterpiece.
- From Twitter to Tiktok, you are #confident in your knowledge of all the social media trends and platforms and your ability to drive forward a strategy that resonates with the right audiences.
- You know how to manage a team in a way that holds everyone accountable while also creating opportunities to provide guidance, feedback and mentorship.
- You're comfortable with giving and receiving feedback in a manner that's respectful yet constructive whether in performance reviews or one-off conversations.
- You can light a spark in the dimmest of rooms with your energy and enthusiasm for the work you do.
- You have good judgment and trust yourself to make the right call when decisions are tough.
- You can adapt and pivot quickly without so much as feeling dizzy.
- You keep your priorities straight but also know when it's time to re-prioritize your work assignments based on business needs.
- You are proactive, self-motivated, and action-oriented when it comes to managing your workload.
- Your strong work ethic gets going when the going gets tough during late nights, early mornings or weekend assignments.
- You work well with others - stakeholders and colleagues alike would agree that you are the quintessential “Team Player”
- Aun, es hasta mejor si puede crear contenido cautivador en español!
- You know your way around the Microsoft Windows operating systems and all it's essential programs including Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint – Microsoft CRM and Adobe Creative Cloud are a plus.
Apply to this position here: https://jobs.lever.co/unitedwayla/bb959e27-2e8d-4985-99d9-5b573a1d24dc