Manager, Development and Communications
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Founded in 1996, Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is a leading Southern California nonprofit organization, connecting people to healthy food, promoting economic development, and building sustainable food systems. We operate the largest network of mission-driven farmers’ markets in Los Angeles as well as programs that provide nutrition education, food access, and opportunities for small regional farms and local food businesses to thrive.
Our programs include:
• Operating a network of community-based certified farmers’ markets in Los Angeles.
• Piloting and championing programs that stretch public nutrition benefits for the purchase of
fresh, nutrient-rich food.
• Providing extensive nutrition education programs to low-income families and to children in
About this job
SEE-LA is seeking a creative, passionate individual to lead SEE-LA’s efforts in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding contributed revenue for the agency, creating content and managing SEE-LA's print, digital, and social communications systems. The manager is responsible for collaboratively developing and implementing fundraising strategies alongside the Co-Executive Directors and SEE-LA's Board of Directors, building external partnerships, supervising fundraising, marketing, and communication projects, streamlining activities, and establishing and upholding editorial standards. SEE-LA has a network of social media platforms including separate pages for its organization, nutrition programs, and each of its six (soon to be eight) farmers’ markets. The Manager will work in a hybrid environment with a home office and accessibility to the main office for occasional desk work, meetings, and preparation of program materials. This position will require semi-regular market site visits. The ideal candidate passionately enjoys developing communications and fundraising strategies that will advance SEE-LA's mission and program growth.
Compensation & Benefits
• Market competitive salary, dependent on experience
• Employer covered Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance Coverage upon completion of 90-day
• 160 hrs Paid Time Off / year for first two years (increases year 3) +14.5 paid holidays
• Subsidized Employee Assistance Program
• Option for 403b Retirement Plan
• Remote work stiped, company cell phone and computer
Physical Demand and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard, reach, stoop, and kneel to install small appliances like computer equipment. Most work will take place indoors, but some work may take place outside in rainy, hot, or cold weather conditions, which may occasionally require standing for up to 2 hours or lifting up to 25 lbs. May perform related duties as assigned by management.
Roles & responsibilities
• In collaboration with the Co-Executive Directors and Board of Directors, develop an overall strategic development communications portfolio for organizational initiatives, priorities, and campaigns;
• Manage agency and oversee program digital communications systems, including mass emails, social media platforms, and digital fundraising campaigns; lead and inform digital community engagement strategies;
• Develop and manage plans to expand SEE-LA’s list of engaged stakeholders;
• Manage modest marketing budget to raise SEE-LA's visibility and to promote our farmers' markets and programs;
• Implement SEE-LA's brand strategy; work collaboratively with Co- Executive Directors and Senior Staff to promote a unified, cohesive brand;
• Develop and provide regular communications trainings to staff to ensure accurate, appropriate, and cohesive brand messaging;
• Develop and pursue opportunities to place media articles and stories, and to create SEE-LA branded content in print, electronic, and digital media platforms; manage media monitoring platform;
• Attend SEE-LA staff meetings and trainings as required; participate in the Administration Team; participate in internal working groups and other collaborative activities as time permits.
• Act as a primary content creator (i.e. writer, editor) for development communications, including: institutional giving and grant writing, capital campaign projects, individual giving including direct mail, email and social media campaigns, and other projects. Deliverables include: annual impact reports; campaign collateral; case statements; grant and gift proposals; sponsorship proposals; donor profiles; program descriptions; executive remarks; video scripts; and other projects;
• Foster strategic communications alignment interdepartmentally across the organization to ensure appropriate and effective messaging to the donor constituency;
• Collaborate with and lead the Fundraising Committee of the Board of Directors; produce select visibility and fundraising events in collaboration with members of the Board; activate high- profile or well-connected ambassadors; develop partnerships with public figures, particularly those in the food world; manage digital fundraisers; collaborate with the Executive Director to identify funding and revenue opportunities; participate in meetings with high level donors and philanthropy partners;
• Develop and pursue opportunities to expand visibility of SEE-LA's farmers’ markets and, including the development of concessions, amenities, gift boxes, etc.; serve as a SEE-LA’s liaison to the SEE-LA market business community, including chefs and restaurants;
• Develop and manage mission-aligned partnerships such as farmers’ market activations, paid sponsorships, special events, in-store business promotions and contributions, digital collaborations, and other co-branded opportunities;
• Manage information about organizational priorities, plans, and programs for development purposes, to facilitate the effective and efficient delivery of development communications. This includes gathering and arranging organizational impact metrics information into clear, strategic, and effective messages / stories;
• Create content for select organization-wide communications projects that are related to philanthropy or intended for donors. Deliverables may include: articles, speeches, web content, brochures or other projects about programs, performances, events, artists, festivals, or initiatives;
• Establish and maintain strategic alignment, consistent standards, efficiency, accuracy, and timeliness across all development communications projects;
• Review and edit development communications and organization-wide communications to ensure accurate and appropriate messaging to and for the donor constituency;
• Attend and assist with development-related events throughout the year including some evenings and weekends;
At least three years’ management experience in the field of marketing, promotion, and communications required;
• Three to five years’ experience in fundraising, development, or related field; nonprofit fundraising experience preferred;
• Some experience focused on development communications, campaign management, and/or event planning preferred;
• Experience in preparing and managing communications projects with various stakeholders;
• Exceptional writing ability and communication skill set;
• Proven ability to articulate complex concepts in written form to multiple audiences through
various vehicles; experience in writing to represent an institution preferred; experience in editing others preferred;
• Experience working with graphic designers, or some graphic design experience; Strong project management, research, analysis, and oral communications skills;
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Adobe, and donor databases;
• Ability to work collaboratively with SEE-LA leadership and Board of Directors to create a results- driven, team-oriented environment;
• Related experience in the nonprofit sector, the restaurant industry, or the entertainmentm industry a plus;
• Written Spanish fluency a big plus.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Email submissions only, use subject line “Development and Communications Manager.” No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.
SEE-LA makes hiring decisions without regard to gender, race, color, religion, gender, gender orientation, identity, or expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class and is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from groups that have been historically underrepresented.
Opportunity open until filled.
DISCLAIMER: The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.