Watts Farmer's Market Manager
- 27 days ago
- Employment type
- Part Time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
SEE-LA’s mission is to build sustainable food systems and promote social and cultural activities that benefit both low-to-moderate income residents of Los Angeles while also supporting California small- and mid-sized farms and local small businesses
Besides our incredible Farmers Markets, SEE-LA keeps Los Angeles healthy by offering and coordinating many programs that enrich lifestyles, help the community and enhance our mission. We are dedicated to improving access to fresh, healthy foods by way of CalFreshEBT, the WIC program and Market Match. Children across Los Angeles benefit from our Bring the Farmer to your School program, in which local California farmers have provided engaging sessions to schools for over 15 years. Our commitment to community enrichment is extended through our Pompea Smith Good Cooking Buena Cocina Nutrition Education Program, where we offer nutrition education, cooking demonstrations and much more.
About this job
Summary of Responsibilities:
Each Market Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the market they are assigned to including: recruitment and retention of farmer/vendors, social media marketing, communications with a variety of market stakeholders, and coordination of other market activities and programs, all under the direction of the Regional Manager, South LA Farmers’ Markets.
The position requires working Wednesday 7:00am-3:30pm with a 30-minute unpaid break and availability on Tuesdays for team meetings.
Roles & responsibilities
Leads regulation and compliance including but not limited to:
- Enforce SEE-LA rules and other pertinent Regional, State, and Federal laws and regulations (Direct Marketing, California Retail Food Code, etc.) o Communicate market policies, activities, and rules to all vendors o
- Work with onsite security to resolve + deescalate emergencies, complaints, and requests from vendors, customers and community partners
- Oversees vendor stall placement
- Oversees market staff with the following market day tasks:
Physical set-up and take-down of market
Maintain market grounds
Distribute Load Lists, market memos, and other market correspondence to market vendors
Maintain market supply inventory
Maintain, organize and tidy up the market storage space o
Operate information booth
Sell market / SEE-LA merchandise periodically
Assure that the market site is clean once the market is closed and vendors have left
Facilitates effective market administration:
o Effectively facilitates vendor check out o Update social media (Instagram feed and stories, Facebook, Twitter) with relevant market news, vendor
updates, seasonal finds, etc.
o Provide support for special events such as food demonstrations, cultural celebrations, book signings, etc.
o Organize and maintain weekly market supplies
Office / Work From Home (2 weekdays)
Manage weekly market accounting and reconciling (in office required):
o Process all load lists from the previous market day.
o Reconcile and submit all forms of payment including cash, check, EBT, Market Match, and WIC. o Complete weekly market day sales and redemption reports.
o Organize and replenish EBT / Market Match supplies.
• Communicate with vendors and market stakeholders regarding market policies, activities, and rules.
• Maintain vendor files and other administrative tasks as needed.
• Work with SEE-LA’s Regional Manager, South LA Farmers’ Markets to secure all necessary permits for operation of a Certified Farmers’ Market.
• Collaborate with state and federal agencies to ensure vendor compliance as needed.
• Develop digital and print promotional materials.
• Promote the farmers’ market on social media and within the community, including presentations to schools, local businesses, churches, and other community-based organizations.
• Organize market events + programming such as book signings, food demos, etc.
• Interface with community leaders, elected officials, and community stakeholders.
• Organize and attend farm, kitchen and studio visits as needed.
• Participate in SEE-LA Farmers’ Market Operations and other SEE-LA initiatives:
o Attend regular meetings including, but not limited to: Weekly supervision meetings with Regional Manager, South LA -Farmers’ Markets -Farmers’ Market Program Team Meetings every other week -Monthly SEE-LA staff meetings -Other meetings and trainings as required
• Participate in internal working groups and other collaborative activities as time permits
• Fundraise on behalf of SEE-LA REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience (retail, customer service, non-profit programming, event planning, community organizing, etc.)
• A working knowledge of basic business and food retail operations, experience working with small- business owners, and/or past experience owning a small business.
• Experience with executing communications and community outreach strategies.
• Experience managing multiple tasks and working with competing deadlines.
• Can work independently, organized and detail-oriented.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Zoom, Social Media apps and other technology platforms.
• Comfortable handling cash.
• Must be able to work Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience (retail, customer service, non-profit programming, event planning, community organizing, etc.)
A working knowledge of basic business and food retail operations, experience working with small- business owners, and/or past experience owning a small business.
Experience with executing communications and community outreach strategies.
Experience managing multiple tasks and working with competing deadlines.
Can work independently, organized and detail-oriented.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Zoom, Social Media apps and other technology platforms.
Comfortable handling cash.
Must be able to work Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Ability to read and write in English and Spanish.
Community centered work in and around Watts/Willowbrook.
Experience working at a Certified Farmers’ Market (vendor, management, staff, etc)
Experience working with underserved, low-income communities with awareness and integrity.
Knowledge of standards and compliance and other protocol related to the Department of Agriculture, Department of Public Health and other local, state and federal agencies.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard, reach, stoop, and kneel to install computer equipment. Most work will take place indoors, but some work will take place outside in rainy, hot, or cold weather conditions.
May perform related duties as assigned by management.
DISCLAIMER: The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Please submit cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Watts/Willowbrook Manager Application [Your Name].
Email submissions only. No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.
SEE-LA is an equal opportunity employer. SEE-LA makes hiring decisions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applications from all qualified applicants, including those who belong to groups that have been historically underrepresented.