- 11 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Reform L.A. Jails (RLJ) represents a coalition of Los Angeles residents, community leaders, businesses, and organizations fighting to permanently reduce the population of people cycling in and out of jail. RLJ envisions a future where LA has divested from incarceration and invested in community-based services. A future that doesn’t criminalize Black, Brown, Indigenous, or poor people, and where communities have the power and resources they need to keep themselves safe, heal, and thrive for generations.
*RLJ is a fiscally sponsored entity.
About this job
Reform L.A. Jails (RLJ) is in search of an Executive Director. This position is a full-time, executive level role. Reporting to the Project Director, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for RLJ’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. RLJ encourages people of color and directly-impacted people to apply.
Roles & responsibilities
- Set vision and strategic direction for the organization and act as the chief spokesperson for RLJ
- Direct all RLJ Programs, Staff and Consultants
- Set and evolve policy goals and priorities, communicating those goals to the team and external stakeholders as needed.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new fundraising, communications, and partnership opportunities.
- Steward fundraising activities, including developing target lists, speaking to funders, attending events and cultivating relationships with donors.
- Oversee Communications Department, ensuring brand consistency and impact.
- Be an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates on RLJ priorities and program results, with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and national replication.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with partner organizations and key justice coalitions.
- Build partnerships with new coalitions, businesses, and CBOs.
- At least 7-10 years of executive or other leadership experience.
- Unwavering commitment to ending mass incarceration and eradictaing racial discrimination in the carceral system.
- Strong fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders.
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling an outcomes-based organization.
- Excellence in organizational management. Including experience overseeing and directing a budget and managing quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Experience overseeing and directing organizational budgets.
- Ability to exercise high levels of discretion with confidential information, and sound judgment on matters related to team culture.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to planning.
Please submit a resume, and cover letter or short video sharing why you are pursuing this position and why you think you would be the best candidate to lead Reform L.A. Jails. Videos should not exceed 2 minutes and can be in any format. Please submit all application materials in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly encourage interested individuals to apply quickly as interviews will happen on a rolling basis. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. All application materials must be submitted through the process outlined above. No information emailed to RLJ staff or consultants will be considered.