- 18 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Who We Are:
The average graduation rate from a four-year college in America is over 60%.
However, it is only 26% for first-generation students and a mere 3% for foster youth. 11% of foster youth graduates will be homeless after graduation.
At Ready to Succeed, we are changing these ratios everyday, one student at a time.
Ready to Succeed (RTS) empowers first-generation and foster youth college students to graduate, launch and accelerate their careers, and reach their full potential. We offer our RTS Scholars a unique combination of personalized college and career coaching, connections to industry professionals, placements in paid internships, and access to financial and mental health resources.
We ensure that our RTS Scholars graduate college with the skills, experience, and support system they need to enter the workforce as career-ready and self-directed young adults. After completing the RTS program, Scholars become RTS Alumni—building a strong peer-to-peer network, giving back to their communities, and providing mentorship, access, and opportunities for younger RTS Scholars. Our program is a proven path to career success.
Check out our 2020 impact report. Feel free to check out more about the general RTS story and about Regina’s story, an incredible scholar-alum. Check out the department head, Lucy Cherkasets, who is hiring for this role and is who the role would report to.
About this job
Consider yourself the opportunity matchmaker (AKA recruiter) for internships and early careers jobs. The Opportunities Advisor is responsible for the sourcing, development, and deployment of internship and employment opportunities for RTS Scholars. You will work closely as a liaison between scholars (as employment candidates) and employers (as clients) to obtain placements in internships, internship conversions, and new full-time permanent positions.
A member of the Career Success Team, the Opportunities Advisor identifies new employment partners and develops and manages current employment partner relationships to facilitate placements, promote scholar success, remove barriers to achievement and to grow additional employment opportunities.
Beyond developing and maintaining employer partnerships, the Opportunities Advisor also supports scholars in preparation for employment opportunities through helping them build relationships with key professionals in their target industries, identify career exploration/job search tools, and work closely with the Advising team who support scholars on their job search materials.
Roles & responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Identify and track students who are internship-ready and Full-time job ready and successfully match with employment partners and opportunities.
- Create/maintain/steward relationships with new and existing RTS Employment partners and employment training programs, specifically in STEM career pathways.
- Develop talent pipeline program access for our qualified active and passive RTS scholar candidates. This can be done via LinkedIn, college & external job boards, community network events, referrals, employment partners, RTS volunteer network, etc.
- Steward the internship and full-time placement process from beginning to end (matching youth to potential placements; assuring the receipt of quality cover letters, résumés and, as appropriate, portfolios or reels; forwarding applicants to prospective employers; tracking; etc.).
- Provide structured advising on employment/internship opportunities to students.
- Connect Scholars RTS Network professionals for job shadows, mock interviews, and employment opportunities.
Now for all the good stuff:
- RTS has always maintained a healthy work, life, and wellness balance since our inception. RTS observes a flexible work arrangement which may be arranged upon completion of the 3-month trial period. Both Ready to Succeed and this role will retain their respective right to At-Will employment.
- Salary range for this exempt, full-time role is commensurate with experience, between $58,000 - $72,000 with potential eligibility for up to 10% annual bonus (after completing 12-months of employment).
- Vacation allotment: begins at 15 days accrual potential and goes up to 25 days with tenure after 5 years
- 3 recharge weeks: this includes the last 2 weeks of December and one week over the July 4th holiday week (as defined by the RTS calendar)
- 11 Federal holidays + your birthday is a holiday too :)
- Health benefits: We currently use a health insurance reimbursement program to cover the cost of health insurance and dental insurance premiums and medical expenses, up to $456 per month. We are exploring group insurance plans for 2023.
- IRA: SIMPLE (Savings Incentive Match PLan for Employees) with dollar-for-dollar match up to 3% of employee contributions.
- Cell phone stipend: $50 per month (non taxable to employee)
- Flexible work schedule and hybrid remote structure
Duration and Hours:
This role is expected to work a schedule of Monday-Friday, full-time. The specific schedule and business hours will be confirmed with the final candidate. Note that there may be times during peak recruitment season when this role needs to work evenings and or weekends and more than standard business hours. This role is not eligible for overtime pay given the exempt classification.
Our physical office is in Santa Monica, CA. This role is mainly remote/hybrid for the remainder of 2022, with some in-office and other on-site meetings with partners, events, etc. We do require that any candidates applying for this role be based in California, and Southern California preferred. The role may return in person in 2023.
Ready to Succeed LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We recruit open-minded people of all gender identities, sexual orientations, ethnicities, abilities and experience. At RTS, we are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We will consider employment for qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring. Additionally, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions as required by ADA.
You Have/You Are:
- 2 - 3 years of experience in recruitment, talent partnerships, ideally specializing in early careers and undergraduates
- Ideally experience advising candidates, students, clients on career and job matters.
- An understanding of internship and entry-level employment opportunities in a broad cross-section of various sector companies. Knowledge of STEM-track and pre-health students a plus.
- Verified ability to put together various marketing materials and presentations for both students and employers; and experience with PowerPoint, Canva and/or tools in the Google Suite.
- Database management experience. Excel will be considered but Salesforce and or Airtable are preferred.
- Excellent and effective verbal and written communication skills; able to adapt communication styles to suit many different audiences.
- The ability to work in a fast paced environment with frequent change and also able to slow down and focus on the details when needed.
- A team player and leader with committed and authentic desire to help others excel.
- A knack for unlocking, nurturing, and championing potential in others.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, the capacity to work independently as part of a team, and good multi-tasking proficiency.
- A sense of humor — you work hard, but don't take yourself too seriously!
HOW TO APPLY:
Follow instructions closely, as we will ignore incomplete applications. Applications submitted via LinkedIn or other online portals are considered incomplete and will be ignored.
Please send all application materials listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the position and your name in the subject line:
In your cover letter, please explain why you’re interested in this role, what you have contributed in your past experiences that is relevant to this RTS role, and how it will help you further your career goals/experience.
Due to the number of applicants, we will only respond if you submit all parts of the application, and are selected for an initial phone/video screening interview. We regret that we cannot respond to all initial applicants.
All interviews will be conducted by phone, Zoom and/or Google Hangouts. Some writing or presentation samples may be requested as part of the second round. Please note that references will be required if your candidacy moves to the final round.