- 24 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 to empower the community through grassroots projects in education, leadership, and service. Our programs include the Guadalupe Homeless Project (GHP), emergency shelter combined with support services that help men and senior women transition into independent living; IMPACTO, an after school academic enrichment program for K-12 youth and the Aliso-Pico Recreation Center; Early Childhood Education Centers, focused on preparing children 18 months to 4 years old for Kindergarten; Comunidad en Movimiento, focused on civic engagement and leadership development; and Promesa Boyle Heights through which a 14-member collaborative of organizations and schools strive to create an educational cradle to college and career pathway for our youth. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 4,000 children, youth and families.
About this job
Substitute teachers support lead teachers on an as needed basis in the classroom. While assigned to a classroom you will be part of a team in implementing a quality emergent curriculum, fulfilling the assigned schedule of the absent teacher enjoy, interacting directly with children and making observations of children. The Substitute teacher should be in compliance with the city and state licensing agencies holding a valid assistant teachers permit or higher.
Pay rate: $15.50 an hour
General Hours: On call as needed
Roles & responsibilities
- Discussing assigned teaching area with classroom teacher to coordinate instructional efforts.
- Follows lesson outline and plan in assigned area and submits a summary to the teacher of the students conduct and work.
- Assists students, individually or in groups, with lesson assignments to present or reinforce learning concepts.
- Assist the teacher in the supervision of the children and observations of individual children. The Substitute teacher’s activities will be at the discretion of the teacher.
- Always be actively involved with the children and at eye level as much as possible.
- Inform the teacher of any injuries, incidents or social or emotional concerns immediately.
Proyecto Pastoral Employee Organizational Responsibilities
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for Proyecto Pastoral and a strong commitment to its mission, including its community building vision and founding Jesuit values
- Willingness to fulfill responsibilities in alignment with the center’s educational philosophy.
- Be an active and positive team member supporting other staff members
- Flexible, resilient, self-starter with a good sense of humor.
- Exhibits high energy, warmth, enthusiasm and patience
- Able to work collaboratively with other co-workers and supervisors
- Personal integrity and confidentiality
- Being bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- High School Diploma and college enrollment or degree required (current college students are strongly encouraged)
- Pass background check and obtain First Aid Certification within 60 days after employment begins
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Substitute Teacher.” For more information about us, please visit our website at www.proyectopastoral.org.