Senior Coordinator of Community Transformation
- 8 days ago
- Employment type
- Full-time, Non-Exempt
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 by community residents and the California Province of Jesuits. Our mission is to empower the community of Boyle Heights through grassroots projects in education, leadership, and service. Proyecto Pastoral reaches over 6,000 children, youth, families and individuals annually through core initiatives in homelessness, youth development, education and community organizing. This position will support Proyecto Pastoral’s fundraising efforts for our collaborative, Promesa Boyle Heights (Promesa). Promesa Boyle Heights is a passionate collaborative of residents, youth, schools, local organizations and public/private institutions unite behind a common mission to improve conditions in Boyle Heights at the individual, school, and systems level by building a movement of partner organizations, students, and families collaborating to close the opportunity gap and strengthen support for students from cradle through college and career. For more information, visit: www.promesaboyleheights.org
About this job
The Senior Coordinator of Community Transformation will manage and coordinate the organizing and advocacy activities of Promesa Boyle Heights collaborative. They will manage relationships with stakeholders and funders, while effectively implementing Promesa Boyle Heights strategies and activities. The Senior Coordinator of Community Transformation Manager will work closely with the Community Transformation Directors and will supervise the Lead Organizer, and support the CT staff. They will support the Promesa Boyle Heights Organizing Team to achieve the events, actions and overall goals set out. The Senior Coordinator of Community Transformation and the organizers are mainly responsible for Promesa Boyle Heights’ outreach, recruitment, leadership development, and coordination of grassroots campaigns related to immigrant rights, education justice and other specific campaigns connected to the overall Promesa Boyle Heights Mission and Vision.
The Senior Coordinator of Community Transformation is also responsible for cross-team coordination through a series of monthly meetings with team Senior Coordinators from the Early Care and Education, Wellness, Community Schools & Community Transformation teams. The Senior Coordinator of Community Transformation will work closely with Program Directors on the stewardship of critical areas of work by fostering interdependence and integration across the teams.
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Transformation
PAY RATE: $24 - $30/hr. (depending on experience)
WORK LOCATION: This position is currently hybrid
Roles & responsibilities
• Support planning for the Community Transformation (CT) team budget with the lead of the CT directors
• Tracks deliverables, manages progress and writes reports with the support of the development team for Early Learning and other targeted grants.
• Manage and direct the CT organizers and promotoras
• Support Promesa Boyle Heights’ Strategic Planning Process and Implementation
• Support Lead Organizer in the execution of a plan for deepening the engagement and leadership of resident leaders. This can include, but not limited to the Comite de Lideres (a committee of residents that represent and/or are connected to our collaborative’s core partner organizations and schools), and Promotoras Ambientales.
• Support CT strategies to develop leadership and volunteer opportunities to integrate other residents into PBH spaces that create opportunities for growth, skills development, and ownership of the work.
• Coordinate and support the ongoing development of deeper relationships with key leaders (through one on one meetings, etc) in order to deepen their involvement with PBH and cultivate their leadership.
• Support Organizer and in partnership with Wellness Associate, connect and foster mental and physical wellness among our leaders and base.
• Coordinate and support development and lead execution of a plan for generating new contacts to reach out to and engage parents and youth as supporters of the collaborative and/or our core partner efforts.
• Coordinate and support in development of a plan to establish and meet goals for the number of new prospective supporters identified and added to our database.
• Work with Wellness, Community-School and Early Education Teams to create and participate in opportunities to expand our reach, meet new potential supporters, and generate new contacts to add to our base. This includes participating in the monthly Leadership meetings as mentioned above in position summary.
• Coordinate and support in ensuring data is kept current in the organizational database by ensuring new contacts are immediately added, contact records are maintained and results are tracked.
• Support in the identification of new “hot contacts” to prioritize for relationship building and leadership development.
• Coordinate and support in development and lead execution of a plan for engaging the people on our list of supporters in opportunities to build their support for PBH and to advance our community goals.
• As part of the Organizing team, support in the writing of action alerts and create other tools to outreach about our work to our base.
• Consistently support in the ongoing recruitment of participants and speakers for press conferences, hearings, and other events.
• Coordinate and Support with Organizers, in leading community building planning and activities for the organization, including a plan for converting community building followers into supporters who take action in support of our collaborative and campaigns.
• Coordinate and support in the ongoing creation and leading of events and activities, turning out supporters to ensure participation from the Promesa Boyle Heights base.
• Coordinate member to member campaigns (e.g. house meetings) to tap into the networks of our supporters.
In partnership with the Co-Directors and Solution teams, assist in development of grassroots campaign plans as part of our collaborative’s priorities.
• ln partnership with Co-Directors and Solution teams, support execution of education, healthy environments and immigrant rights campaigns, and support our partners organizing efforts in areas of, education, affordable housing, safety, and economic development.
• Support organizers in Engaging Promesa’s base of supporters in grassroots campaign activities (ex. school district meetings, postcard collection, etc).
• Build and maintain working relationships with a wide-range of partners. These include residents, youth, schools, local organizations and public/private institutional leaders
• Conduct research and public policy analysis on issues impacting education and immigrant rights and help leverage partnerships and resources to address those gaps.
• Build and maintain regular communication with the General Assembly, Steering Committee, and other Promesa BH Solution Teams.
• A minimum of 3 year of grassroots organizing experience and supporting different phases of a campaign.
• Supervisory level role in past job positions is a must.
• A bachelor’s degree preferred; other comparable organizing work experience will be considered;
• Knowledge of organizing principles and coalition-building is required.
• Strong adaptive leadership abilities including an encouraging, motivating presence to help with conflict management, team building, goal-setting, prioritization and strategic planning;
• Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team.
• Commitment to social justice and community empowerment;
• Experience managing dynamic projects and working with diverse populations.
• Must be computer literate and have experience working with Microsoft Office, data analysis software, and social media;
• Able to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends;
• Licensed driver with reliable transportation and ability to meet organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements;
• Interested in someone that can start immediately and can commit to the position for at least two years.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only emailed applications will be accepted, please indicate “Senior Coordinator of Community Transformation” in the subject of the email.