Postsecondary Equity & Success Coordinator
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Full-time, Non-Exempt
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Promesa’s mission is to improve conditions in Boyle Heights at the individual, school, and systems level by building a movement of partner organizations, students, and families collaborating to close the opportunity gap and strengthen supports for students from cradle through college and career. For more information, visit www.promesaboyleheights.org.
Promesa Boyle Heights (PBH) is a dynamic collaborative/program of Proyecto Pastoral at Dolores Mission. Promesa collaborates with residents, youth, schools, local organizations, and public/private institutions working together to realize a vision where:
1. Every individual has access to a range of supports in the home, in our schools, and in the community to foster school and life success;
2. Organizations are collaborating and closing the opportunity gap amongst the most marginalized and underserved populations in our community, and;
3. A powerful, resident-led collaborative is winning system-level policy changes that create a safer, healthier, and more stable Boyle Heights.
About this job
Promesa BH seeks a mission-driven individual passionate and committed to postsecondary equity and student success. The Postsecondary Equity & Success (PSES) Coordinator will lead postsecondary efforts across Promesa BH’s community school sites, higher education partnerships, and Avanza. In collaboration with the PSES Senior Manager, the coordinator will support implementing the PSES efforts to heighten postsecondary awareness and readiness across Boyle Heights schools. This includes leading the Promesa BH’s college transition program Avanza, supporting the coordination of schoolwide college and career readiness events, and cross-collaborating with the PSES, Education Justice, and English Learners teams for bi-annual partner convenings.
Position: Postsecondary Equity & Success Coordinator
Location: Based on School location in Boyle Heights
Program: Proyecto Pastoral – Promesa Boyle Heights
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM
Compensation: (Coordinator 1 Level) $18 - $26/hr. (depending on experience)
Reports to: Postsecondary Equity & Success Senior Manager
Roles & responsibilities
Avanza Program Support and Development
Avanza is Promesa BH’s college transition mentorship program that supports incoming first-year students in their transition to college or a career-building program. The coordinator will support Avanza’s coordination and development of sustainable first-year retention and persistence efforts with East Los Angeles College (ELAC) and California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA) faculty and administrators.
The coordinator will play a key role in developing a strong foundation in Avanza’s program model that includes but is not limited to the following:
• Collecting and analyzing retention, persistence, and completion data of Boyle Heights alumni
• Mentoring first-year scholars across ELAC, CSULA, and local career-technical education programs
• Facilitating monthly Avanza Scholar check-ins to foster and preserve academic success
• Deepening college-access partnerships with partner organizations and local colleges/universities
• Coordinating academic convenings and conferences for Avanza scholars
Postsecondary Efforts at Community Schools
• Collaborate with the English Learners team to develop and facilitate the postsecondary readiness curriculum across Promesa BH’s community schools
• In partnership with other Promesa teams and key partners, participate in the planning and execution of convenings to address the trends, successes, and gaps in postsecondary pathways
• Facilitate college and career readiness workshops for students and parents
Below are some of the minimum qualifications for this organizing position:
• A bachelor’s degree is preferred; other comparable organizing work experience will be considered;
• Strong adaptive leadership abilities, including an encouraging, motivating presence to help with conflict management, team building, goal-setting, prioritization and strategic planning;
• Able to work independently and as a member of a team;
• A minimum of 2 years working with high school and college students
• Commitment to social justice and community empowerment;
• Able to communicate well (verbal/written) in both English and Spanish;
• Must be computer literate and have experience working with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, data analysis software, and social media platforms (Instagram);
• Able to work flexible hours, including evenings and some weekends;
• Able to exercise balanced judgment in evaluating situations, making decisions, and handling difficult or confrontational situations calmly, consistently, and equitably.
• Able to effectively represent Promesa BH's interests in the community and maintain effective working relationships among co-workers, public, private, and professional groups.
• **Must be a licensed driver with reliable transportation and the ability to meet the organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements;
• Interested in someone who can start immediately and can ideally remain in this position for a total grant period of at least two years.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This full-time position has an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, vision, vacation, sick days, holidays, and a 401k plan.
Please submit the following:
1. Current resume
2. Letter of interest
These should be sent electronically to email@example.com with the subject line: Promesa BH PSES Coordinator. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We encourage interested applicants to submit as soon as possible.