- 25 days ago
- Employment type
- Part time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 to empower the community through grassroots projects in education, leadership, and service. Our programs include the Guadalupe Homeless Project (GHP), emergency shelter combined with support services that help men and women transition into independent living; IMPACTO, an after school academic enrichment program for K-12 youth and the Aliso Pico Recreation Center; Early Childhood Education Centers, focused on preparing children 18 months to 4 years old for Kindergarten; Comunidad en Movimiento, focused on civic engagement and leadership development; and Promesa Boyle Heights. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 4,000 children, youth and families.
About this job
The Group Leader is responsible for ensuring the safety of ALL students and implementing best practices in academic enrichment programming. The Group Leader reports to the IMPACTO Site Coordinator and works as part of the after-school program team to provide a high-quality program to youth and families in the Boyle Heights community of Los Angeles.
Roles & responsibilities
● Plan for and implement academic, tutoring, enrichment (health, art, sports, science) activities, including securing guest speakers.
● With the support of the Site Coordinator, develop leadership among youth, encourage community involvement and promote a college going culture through workshops, activities, and field trip opportunities.
● Ensure the physical/emotional safety and positive engagement of youth enrolled in the program, using positive behavior management strategies aligned with the values of the organization.
● Assist students with homework on a daily basis.
● Assist with supervision of program volunteers, including monitoring attendance, performance and other relevant tasks. Work with volunteers in an effort to provide strong academic and enrichment opportunities to students.
● Assist Site Coordinator in the collection of relevant student data including report cards, homework logs, standardized test results, and other data relevant to the evaluation process.
● Provide group management and assistance for all activities.
● Facilitate structured and safe transition of assigned cohort to/from all activities, and ensure students are always in their assigned groups and locations .
● Attend weekly staff meetings, and staff development sessions, and Proyecto Pastoral meetings/events, as assigned.
● Maintain positive communication with parents; actively sharing updates and student highlights
● Contribute to a positive working and learning environment.
● Encourage full participation of all students.
● Complete incident reports as needed.
● Attend field trips, as assigned.
● Perform other duties as needed and designated by the Site Coordinator (Supervisor)
● Experience working with youth and/or community organizations.
● Strong Communication skills with adult staff, parents and youth participants
● Enrolled in higher education, AA or BA preferred.
● Good organizational skills
● Computer literate
● Must have good Math/English Language skills.
● Bilingual preferred (English/Spanish)
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 135 North Mission Road, Los Angeles, CA 90033. PLEASE write ATTN: GROUP LEADER in the subject line of the email.