English Learner Mentor
- 25 days ago
- Employment type
- Part time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Promesa’s mission is to improve conditions in Boyle Heights at the individual, school, and systems level by building a movement of partner organizations, students, and families collaborating to close the opportunity gap and strengthen support for students from cradle through college and career. For more information, visit: www.promesaboyleheights.org.
About this job
The English Learner Mentor supports the planning, implementation and evaluation of academic and social-emotional support services for English Learner students and their families at Promesa community schools. The EL Mentor will be responsible for building relationships, facilitating programming, and data-collection that support an aligned vision for success of English Learner Students at Promesa community schools. The EL Mentor will work closely with the Promesa EL Coordinator to provide programs and services to support the academic and social-emotional needs of English Learner Students and families and work collaboratively with the school to track and monitor the success of English Learner Students that include but is not limited to: English Language Proficiency reclassification, Reading Inventory Assessment Scores, ELPAC performance, A-G completion, high school graduation, school transitions and postsecondary success.
Roles & responsibilities
The EL Peer Mentor will:
- Work with staff on student recruitment at each school site, as needed
- Support curriculum development for student leadership development, campaign strategies
- Lead/facilitate student programs, orientations, and tutoring
- Will build organizing, administrative, and relationship-building skills
- Will maintain records of time spent with students
- Attend mandatory training sessions as needed
Promesa Wide Responsibilities
- Participate in weekly team meetings, check-ins, professional development, and retreats.
- Support all-hands on deck events (e.g. General Assemblies, Steering Committees Meetings, Career Day, etc.).
- Assist with data collection and reporting for grants (in partnership with Promesa staff).
- Demonstrate a commitment to social justice, equity, and community empowerment.
- Experience working with ethnically and racially diverse populations.
- Must be computer literate and have experience working with Microsoft Office, Google Work Space and data analysis software.
- Ability to be flexible, resilient, and adaptable to changing dynamics.
- Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team.
- Able to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends.
- Licensed driver with reliable transportation and ability to meet organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements. Must be willing to travel to work location and school sites when needed.
- Experience working with English Learners and families (a plus)
- Familiarity with EL student programs and support services traditionally offered at K-12 schools (a plus)
- Spanish-speaking ability, experience working in nonprofits, and/or Boyle Heights lived experience is a BIG plus.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit, talk, hear, and type- at times for extended periods of time. The employee will also occasionally be required to stand, walk, and drive. The employee will occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Please email your letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include “Promesa BH English Learner Mentor” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We encourage interested applicants to submit as soon as possible and will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled.