Early Learning Organizer
- 16 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Promesa’s mission is to improve conditions in Boyle Heights at the individual, school, and systems level by building a movement of partner organizations, students, and families collaborating to close the opportunity gap and strengthen supports for students from cradle through college and career. For more information, visit: www.promesaboyleheights.org.
About this job
The Early Learning organizer is responsible for recruiting new supporters, engaging activists, and developing volunteer leaders who identify with and support the PBH campaign priorities - specifically those connected to Early Learning North star and strategic directions. The organizer also leads execution of grassroots outreach plans to further the programmatic goals of the collaborative and lead facilitation of campaign strategy. Helps advance the direction of the Early Learning Solution Team in collaboration with parents, resident leaders, partners and other key stakeholders.
Promesa Boyle Heights (BH) is seeking a mission-driven leader who is passionate and committed to social and racial justice. The organizer, along with Early Learning priorities, will also support leadership development, recruitment and coordination of grassroots campaigns related to advocacy areas within the other Promesa’s Community Transformation focus areas, including: immigrant rights, education justice, English language learners, and wellness. The organizer will work with the Community Transformation team which includes the Co-Directors and Program Manager, and will participate in organizing, alignment and strategy meetings to advance the mission and vision of Promesa.
Roles & responsibilities
Organizer Model Implementation and Base Building
● Work with the team to identify, recruit and develop resident leaders and engage parents as supporters of the collaborative and/or our core partner efforts.
● Coordinate across Promesa teams to expand our base, meet new potential supporters, and generate new contacts through outreach efforts to add to our database.
● Recruit and train resident leaders, early care and education providers, and other stakeholders for press conferences, hearings, and other events.
● Lead trainings on topics identified by resident leaders, early care and education providers, and other stakeholders. May be asked to support in areas such as immigration, education justice, English Learner and wellness.
● Engage Promesa’s base of supporters in grassroots campaign activities (ex. school district meetings, community outreach, virtual convenings, etc.) connected to early learning and other Promesa areas.
Campaign Support and Program Development
● Along with community education, base-building, resident leadership capacity-building, the organizer will lead the development of establishing a Boyle Heights Early Learning Network, organizing and connecting key early care and education centers and family child care home providers.
● Collaborate with Comite de Lideres to create intergenerational advocacy with early learning care providers, residents, youth and others on resident identified campaigns.
● In partnership with other Promesa’s teams and key partners actively develop a campaign aimed at increasing support for Early Learning programs, funding and other investments as identified by the Early Learning Solution Team.
● Support advocacy related to Promesa’s parks, open space and healthy environments advocacy campaign.
● Supporting the creation and launch of new organizing initiatives, including early learning components.
● Build and maintain working relationships with a wide-range of partners, including residents, youth, schools, local organizations and public/private institutional leaders
● Build and maintain regular communication with the General Assembly, Steering Committee, and other Promesa committees.
● Build and maintain relationships with coalition partners and community schools in the Promesa network.
● Participate in key coalition and campaign-related meetings.
● Support the design and implementation of quantitative and qualitative evaluation and
Below are some of the minimum qualifications for this organizing position:
● A bachelor’s degree is preferred; other comparable organizing work experience will be considered;
● Strong adaptive leadership abilities including an encouraging, motivating presence to help with conflict management, team building, goal-setting, prioritization and strategic planning;
● Able to work independently and as a member of a team;
● A minimum of 2 year of grassroots experience organizing, supporting different phases of a campaign, knowledge of organizing principles and coalition-building;
● Commitment to social justice and community empowerment;
● Able to communicate well (verbal/written) in both English and Spanish;
● Must be computer literate and have experience working with Microsoft Office, data analysis software, and social media;
● Able to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends;
● Able to exercise balanced judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions, and to handle difficult or confrontational situations in a calm, consistent, and equitable manner.
● Able to effectively represent Promesa BH interests in the community and maintain effective working relationships among co-workers, public, private, and professional groups.
● **Must be a licensed driver with reliable transportation and ability to meet organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements;
● Interested in someone who can start immediately and can preferably remain in this position for the total grant period of at least two years.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit, talk, hear, and type, at times for extended periods of time. The employee will also occasionally be required to stand, walk, and drive. The employee will occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Please submit the following:
1. Current resume;
2. Letter of interest;
3. Application questions (see below), and;
4. Three (3) references
These should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Promesa BH Early Learning Organizer. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We encourage interested applicants to submit as soon as possible since we are aiming for the first round of interviews to begin on August 1st, 2022.
1) Why are you interested in working with the Promesa BH team, and in the Early Learning Organizer role?
2) Please describe your organizing experience and any experience (if applicable) in supporting different phases of a campaign.
3) How do you define a ‘leader’ and how do you develop leadership in others?
4) Describe an example of when you handled a difficult or confrontational situation. What did you learn about yourself and others?