- 19 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
New Horizons is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping individuals with special needs reach their potential and fulfill their dreams. Founded in 1954, the agency has evolved to provide job training and placement, education, counseling, residential services, and social programs to more than 1,100 individuals each year, from throughout the greater San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys of Los Angeles. With a commitment to providing each client with the individual attention needed to gain confidence, skills, dignity, and independence at his/her/their highest level, New Horizons is on a growth trajectory, continuously innovating its programs and activities. As a leader in its field, New Horizons aims to shift society’s paradigm, creating a world where people with disabilities have the same rights and economic security afforded to all.
About this job
Reporting to the Vice President of Financial Planning and Analysis, the Assistant Controller is responsible for the review and reconciliation of assigned balance sheet and income statement accounts, including but not limited to cash accounts, prepaid, leases, fixed assets, and depreciation, company credit cards, grant management, and monthly journal entries. The Assistant Controller may oversee and/or assist with Accounts Payable. The Assistant Controller serves as the accounting department’s liaison with the development department. The Assistant Controller helps drive the monthly close and preparation for audits, and trains or supports other team members as needed. The ideal candidate is proactive, flexible in approach, and has a “team player” mindset with the goal of supporting the agency’s mission.
Roles & responsibilities
Monthly Close and Financial Reporting
- Books recurring journal entries in accordance with monthly close checklist.
- Assists with timely close and preparation of financial statements in accordance with the closing timeline.
- Reconciles bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Confirms intercompany accounts are in balance on a monthly basis.
- Maintains monthly files for general ledger journal entries by month posted and in numeric order.
- Generates monthly financial statement reports for distribution to the Finance Committee and other reports as needed and/or requested.
- Submits quarterly reporting package to the bank as compliance for a line of credit.
- Assists with Certified Public Accountant (CPA) audits and all other financial audits and examinations by regulatory agencies.
- Assists with accurate and timely completion of requests for information by auditors, including the preparation of PBC (Prepared by Client) audit schedules.
- Assists with ensuring agency records meet auditing standards.
- Provides copies of approved annual audits in compliance with regulatory agreements.
Company Credit Cards
- Maintains a list of approved credit card holders and credit limits. Sets up new users, puts accounts on hold as directed, and deactivates separated cardholders.
- Trains employees on the policies and processes for submitting and uploading invoices on a daily or weekly basis.
- Monitors transactions for internal controls, accurate coding, and timely submission and follows up with employees and supervisors as needed.
- Publishes an annual calendar of the last day to submit credit card transactions and complete approvals each month.
- Attends quarterly grant management meetings to ensure accounting and record keeping is set up to comply with grant requirements and purpose.
- Prepares financial information and schedules to assist with grant applications.
- Monitors grant performance to budget and report on dollar and timeline variances.
- Provides financial reports in compliance with the grant agreement.
Liaison for Development Department
- Oversees transfer of funds to Capital Campaigns and NH Endowment.
- Reconciles special events revenue and expenses with the Special Event Coordinator.
- Confirms accuracy and timely reporting of events to the Registry of Charitable Organizations.
- Coordinates preparation of private revenue annual audit reports with the Development Database Coordinator or designee.
- Confirms private cash receipts reconcile with log-in registers and are booked in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Records monthly in-kind donations and reviews basis for valuation.
- Trains development on assessment, collection, and reporting of tax during events and other sales of taxable products. Prepares quarterly Sales Use Tax form.
- SPA (State Plan Amendment) Payments
- Creates a worksheet when payments are deposited and notify by e-mail (CFAO, Vice President of Financial Planning and Analysis, and A/P Specialist) of the invoice amount and payment due date to the Regional Center.
- Enters SPA invoices in Sage Intacct.
- Prepares Payment Requests and forwards to the VP of FPA for approval.
Cash Flow Management
- Oversees recording of daily cash receipt logs and timely processing of deposits.
- Updates Rolling 12 Cash Flow Projections on a weekly basis.
- Trains assigned staff on the electronic deposit process and serve as backup if needed.
- Oversees and ensures all cash receipts are booked on a timely basis.
Accounting Department Team
- Serves as backup to Senior Director of Contract/AR Management in their absence or as needed.
- Supports other Accounting Team members as needed in order to ensure the highest level of accounting standards and customer service.
- Recommends and implements approved changes to improve accuracy, efficiency, and coordination of Accounting Team functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field.
- At least two (2) years of accounting experience, three or more (3+) years of experience is preferred.
- Competency in IT applications and data management is required; expertise is preferred.
- An in-depth understanding of GAAP and all regulations pertaining to their areas of responsibilities.
- Proficiency in computerized accounting and spreadsheet applications, like Excel.
- The ability to effectively coordinate the completion of tasks with other employees as needed.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- The ability to work independently, exercising sound judgment.
- Ability to attend all Accounting Department meetings, coordination meetings with other departments, required training, and other agency meetings as directed by the VP of Planning and Analysis.
- Ability to maintain the highest professional and ethical standards at all times.
- COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- The salary range is $85,000 - $100,000. New Horizons offers a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vacation, sick, holidays, 401(k), and tuition reimbursement policy. This is a full-time, on-site position, located in North Hills, CA.
- New Horizons is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
- Envision Consulting was retained by New Horizons to conduct the search for their incoming Assistant Controller.
- Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.
PLEASE USE THE LINK TO APPLY FOR THE POSITION: https://grnh.se/dc8df3241us