- 20 days ago
- Employment type
- Closing date
About this organization
The National Center for Science Education (NCSE) is the nation’s leading independent organization fighting for integrity and accuracy in science education. NCSE works with teachers, parents, scientists, and concerned citizens at the local, state, and national levels to ensure that evolution, climate change, and other scientific matters are taught accurately, honestly, and confidently. Established in 1982, NCSE has successfully championed against efforts to insert creationism into the science classroom, to water down the teaching of evolution, and compromise the teaching of climate science. NCSE serves as a public advocate for sound, effective science education, conducts research on science education and science-education policy, and supports science educators with activities that include teacher training, curriculum development, and professional mentorship.
For additional information, please visit www.ncse.ngo.
About this job
With a mission to promote and defend accurate, effective science education, NCSE is well-positioned to benefit from a forward-thinking, persuasive, and passionate leader as its next Executive Director.
Roles & responsibilities
In addition to serving as the primary spokesperson and champion on behalf of NCSE, the Executive Director is responsible for the strategic, programmatic, and financial health of the organization. Through cooperation with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director upholds the organization’s mission and vision, sets priorities, evaluates programmatic outcomes, establishes and adheres to an annual budget, and ensures compliance with the organization’s bylaws.
The Executive Director manages the day-to-day operation of the organization, including personnel management, program guidance and oversight, fiscal oversight, fundraising, and communications. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director supervises the 11-member NCSE staff and is responsible for the annual operating budget of approximately $1.6 million.
• Competitive candidates will bring a track record of excellence in positions of increasing responsibility, ideally within a nonprofit organization recognized for its work in promoting science or science education.
• Knowledge of the scientific community, an understanding of current issues facing educators, and a record of outreach to the public on science-education issues are all critically important.
• Exceptional relationship-building skills and success in forming strong partnerships are also essential.
• The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, visionary individual who has shown success in generating widespread support for an organization, broadening its reach and scale to increase its impact.
• The Executive Director must have a solid understanding of effective, forward-looking fiscal management and the implications for a small nonprofit.
• Demonstrated successful experience in program development, fundraising and board relations will be highly valued. The ideal candidate will have strong donor relations skills and success at cultivating donors and asking for and obtaining major gifts.
• Studies in fields related to science or science education and degrees in biology, geology, or climate science are particularly desirable.
COMPENSATION & ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS
The annual salary range for this position is $150,000 to $175,000 plus benefits. This is a full-time exempt position.
The Executive Director may work remotely and reside anywhere in the U.S. or choose to work from the NCSE office in Oakland, California. Currently, NCSE staff have either a hybrid remote/in-office schedule or work fully remotely. Regular travel is expected.
NCSE has retained Morris & Berger to conduct the Executive Director search. To view the full position description, please visit https://pub.lucidpress.com/morrisberger_2223/. To apply, please submit an application, including a resume and a letter of interest, in confidence to Morris & Berger through their website: https://www.morrisberger.com/position.php?id=2223.