Associate Director of Development
- 18 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
My Friend’s Place is a nonprofit organization with a mission “to assist and inspire homeless youth to build self-sufficient lives.” Our crisis and resource drop-in center provides emergency, health, mental health, creative arts, case management, and education & employment services to nearly 1,000 youth and young adults experiencing homelessness annually. The youth and young adults we serve are predominantly black and brown and male identified. We recognize the experience of homelessness as a social, racial and economic justice issue. Our comprehensive, multi-disciplinary program model is innovative and replicated in drop-in centers locally and nationally. We are a data lead agency committed to continuous learning and development.
About this job
Working in conjunction with the Director of Development, the Associate Director of Development is responsible for providing leadership and supervision for the development and implementation of My Friend’s Place’s fundraising and resource development efforts, including the planning and production of events, including the annual gala, as well as the development and implementation of the My Friend’s Place communications plan, including the development and production of communications pieces (newsletters, press releases, mailings, email lists, web and social media). The Associate Director of Development also plays a lead role in the development and implementation of key areas of the resource development plan, including corporate engagement, individual giving and major gifts. The Associate Director of Development does not currently supervise any staff members but that is likely to change as the Development team grows in the future.
Roles & responsibilities
● Partner with the Director of Development on strategy around the development and implementation of the organization’s resource development plan, including individual giving, corporate and foundation giving, major gifts, special events, and in kind support
● Supervise and direct the development and production of agency communications, including printing and mailing of bi-annual newsletters, monthly e-newsletters, direct mail appeals, agency brochures and specialty publications
● Supervise and direct the design and implement an integrated media strategy, using web, email, social media, and other outlets to increase awareness of agency and cause in the community, maintain engagement among active contributor base and activate greater community support
● Supervise and direct maintenance of agency website and social media accounts
● on public relations and media management, including fielding press requests and pitching outlets for coverage
● Supervise and provide strategic direction on the planning, execution and follow-up for all special events, including sponsorship development, vendor relations and volunteers
● Supervise the creation and maintenance of event calendars and budgets
● Coordinate event public relations, advertising and collateral material design, production and distribution
● Represent agency at various events and engagement opportunities in the community, which may include evenings and weekends
● Expand event partners in the community
● Provide leadership for the Development team in establishing, maintaining and stewarding relationships with corporate partners through engagement of volunteer teams; onsite and off site volunteer activities, drives and activations; events and event support.
● Develop and implement fundraising strategies, communications, campaigns and calls to action to drive corporate engagement.
● Participate in prospecting and researching new corporate supporters
● Lead in scheduling and preparing site visits for current and prospective corporate supporters
● Represent My Friend’s Place at corporate events and presentations
Supporter Management and Cultivation
● Lead the Development team in developing and executing consistent communication to cultivate and grow our community of support
● Lead in the development and production of fundraising appeals, including targeted communications, vendor management, printing, and e-appeal formatting
● Develop and implement fundraising strategies, campaigns and calls to action
● Participate in prospecting and researching new supporters, including individuals, foundations and corporations
● Lead in scheduling and preparing site visits for current and prospective supporters
● Create and actively promote a comfortable and welcoming environment where every member/participant is treated with dignity and respect in a friendly, personalized manner
● Employ a customer service orientation in anticipating and responding to supporter needs and requests
● Assist with tracking development-related expenses for the purposes of annual budgeting and periodic financial reports.
● Respond to programmatic needs as required (in emergencies, when understaffed, etc.)
● Report on development and cultivate staff engagement at All Staff meetings
PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTABILITY Commitment to Core Values
● The following core values are fundamental to our work together and with the youth: compassion, flexibility, honesty, human worth, integrity, openness, respect, sense of humor, trust, valuing diversity, and the willingness and courage to engage, address and discuss differences
Dependability / Reliability
● Reports to work on time and informs appropriate staff when involved in other duties away from the agency
● Provides advance notice in a timely manner for all scheduled leave
● Maintains proper attendance requirements in compliance with agency policies
Attitude and Flexibility
● Exercises good judgment under various work situations
● Adapts to changes in agency routines and issues
● Maintains flexibility in completing tasks as required by the position
● Exhibits positive daily work attitudes on a consistent basis
● Creates a positive environment for all people in the agency by addressing issues of harassment, discrimination, or lack of respect immediately
● Continues to pursue the development of cultural sensitivity and proficiency agency-wide
● Documents challenging personnel and stakeholder situations in writing
● Exhibits cooperation and courtesy while creating a positive public image for My Friend’s Place and a productive work environment
Quality / Quantity of Work
● Understands and satisfactorily performs activities as assigned by the Director of Development and. Executive Director
● Ensures that all work is completed to highest quality professional standards Professional
● Maintains a level of professional knowledge so as to function as a resource for all staff, volunteers, and community members for the agency’s overall operation
● At least four years demonstrated managerial experience in fundraising and nonprofit development or equivalent experience.
● Experience with event planning, communications/marketing and fundraising protocols.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills and presentation skills.
● Strong content creation skills, including writing and editing for print and electronic media
● Proficient in computer operation and supporter software (eTapestry and MailChimp preferred), spreadsheets and word processing
● Commitment to agency mission and core values
● Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to effectively and efficiently manage deadlines and multiple tasks
● Excellent interpersonal and telephone skills and ability to create effective messaging to a variety of constituencies
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● Open-mindedness and ability to work with diverse groups
● Availability for evening and weekend projects on occasion
● California driver’s license, automobile insurance and reliable transportation
● Bachelor’s Degree in related field(s) or equivalent
Requirements, Terms and Benefits
● The Associate Director of Development position is a 40 hour a week full time, exempt position reporting to the Director of Development.
● The Associate Director of Development position is currently a hybrid position with 2/3 days per week onsite at My Friend’s Place in Hollywood and 2/3 days per week remote.
● Must be comfortable with the physical demands of this position, including occasional lifting or moving of furniture and boxes (up to 30 lbs.), and regularly navigate stairs.
● My Friend’s Place offers a competitive salary and benefits package including paid health, dental, and life insurance, sick leave and vacation time
● The hiring process includes a pre-hire background check, including a criminal background check and DMV report.
● COVID-19 vaccination and booster required prior to employment.
Email resume and cover letter to: Susan Zeren Dutra, Director of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org